Clicking Sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clicking Sound

I am getting a clicking sound from my transducer. Wanted to check and see if others that have an Elite 5 are getting a similar sound from their tranducer. I noticed it yesterday on the water. Currently I have it duck seal mounted on the inside hull of the yak. It has been mounted this way for a year. I had an Elite 4 previously and didn't seem to hear this sound. I plan to check with Lowrance and see what they say and report back.

Outback 2015
    Maui

Don't all sonar unit transducers click? Isn't that how they work?

Comment

Transducers do send out rapid sound pulses. 99% of the time I never hear the sounds. But occasionally I do hear a series of clicks. If you hear it all the time, consider rebedding the duct seal or using an alternate transducer method.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
        Don't all sonar unit transducers click? Isn't that how they work?
        I think so, but I didn't ever notice the sound from my previous unit. Maybe this one is just louder.

Outback 2015
        Maui

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
          Transducers do send out rapid sound pulses. 99% of the time I never hear the sounds. But occasionally I do hear a series of clicks. If you hear it all the time, consider rebedding the duct seal or using an alternate transducer method.
          Thanks John, I'll have to check it out and see if rebedding the duct seal works. I plan on testing directly in the water also and see if it makes a difference.

Outback 2015
          Maui

Comment

Hey Goody, I have the Elite-4x and I get that same clicking noise you are speaking of. I guess like Dan Marino said thats just how they work. I never heard any clicking from my Garmin though.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dtandrade View Post
              Hey Goody, I have the Elite-4x and I get that same clicking noise you are speaking of. I guess like Dan Marino said thats just how they work. I never heard any clicking from my Garmin though.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
              I just wanted to check and see if this is normal considering I didn' t hear it from the other unit.

Mobile Phone

Outback 2015
              Maui

Comment

Clicking is definitely normal for a transducer. If you get your ear close to it you should definitely be able to hear it click. Is it obnoxiously loud or faint and barely audible?

When you hear it click, do you have the hull opened up? I imagine the hull could be amplifying the sound a bit as well.
                Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mweber02 View Post
                  Clicking is definitely normal for a transducer. If you get your ear close to it you should definitely be able to hear it click. Is it obnoxiously loud or faint and barely audible?

When you hear it click, do you have the hull opened up? I imagine the hull could be amplifying the sound a bit as well.
                  It's noticeably loud with the hull closed and louder when opened. I stuck it in a bucket of water to test and could still hear it pretty good.

Mobile Phone

Outback 2015
                  Maui

Comment

I heard the clicking the first time I hooked up my Elite 4-DSI out of the water. I have a transducer arm and haven't heard it while submerged. As for frequency many of us probably can't hear the actual frequency but probably hear the pulse interval and possibly some harmonics. I've heard the difference in mine as its switched modes. I'd think due to the power that some hull/bucket structures would resonate and make some part of the signal audible.
                    PigPen - Mt Airy
                    Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

I hear mine once in a while. Mostly when i get in shallow water or have the kayak beached.

Comment

Lowrance says that the clicking sound is normal and that some transducers are lounder than others.

Mobile Phone

Outback 2015
                        Maui

Comment

Every one I ever had clicks. That I believe is what the sonar pulses ar.
                          Hurricane Skimmer 128
                          WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Working...
                          X