Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PADDLERS: Where do you mount your rod holders for trolling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have them mount about 1/2 way up the slide trax on the ride 135. You still need to not take a huge long forward stroke and when I get tired I hit a rod once in a while.

Greg the No. 429 Gear Head Mount Extender to push it farther forward.
    31BYz5HHBPL._SX425_.jpg
    "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

I just installed gear tracks in front of me with ram mount and tubes this year so far it worked well with keeping the rods far enough forward and out of my paddle stroke plus i have used them bottom fishing sliding the mounts back while anchored so it been versatile. I have heard that some dont like ram mounts with bigger fish but I have not landed anything bigger than a 20 inch striper with this setup and it didnt seem taxed at all I do like having rods out in front where i can see them because I dont hear well and miss knock downs with them behind me
      D Hawk
      Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
      Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

I have 2 yaks set up using the ZOOKA TUBE and 8" tracks. Delaware paddle sports sells the zooka tube with 1.5 inch ball for $40. And I use the steel trac not plastic and not had any problem.

Comment

do the scotty 480 rocket launchers only do a good job holding in rods with a longer butt section? how would they be for rods with shorter butts or casting rods/baitcasters?
          Michael
          2016 Hobie Mirage Outback
          Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Comment

I have been looking to get a gimbal mount for my flush mount rod holders. I went with Ram first and they do not fit in the outback flush mount holes. Do the scotty gimbal mounts work on Hobie's?
            Ride 135 Green
            Big Tuna Orange
            12ft Bote HD
            Outback Blue with Orange Deck

Comment

I recently sold a pair of Scotty gimbal mounts on this forum.

They did not fit on my Hobie Revo. (I had actually purchased them for a Jackson Coosa and they fit well in those flush mounts.) However the diameter of the flush mounts on my Revo was too large for the Scotty gimbal mounts.

I use these on my Revo and they work very well: http://www.amazon.com/Hobie-Rod-Hold.../dp/B005XCSXCC
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

After paddling many miles and tweaking my rod position over time, I have landed having my starboard rod holder mounted about 2/3rds of the way forward on the track system on my thresher. My port rod is mounted on a mighty mount directly behind my left elbow. I have learned, through trial and error, that these positions work best for me.

In the past, the port rod track mount would loosen under the steady pull of the trolled bait and the rod would inevitably get in the way of my stroke as it gradually shifter from a 9 o'clock orientation to 8. It is true that I would prefer to have it more visible, but I adjust my drag so that I hear it more readily. This rearward position also allows me to make tighter turns without the line fouling in my rudder.

The starboard holder is actually tightens under the pressure of the bait and thus, can remain more visible. I do still hit it on occasion, but it is rare.

My advice is to use a track system that allows you to play with the positioning while you get to know your boat and how you place your paddle stroke. It took me a while until I had it dialed in to exactly where it works for me.
                Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

i think its been said enough on here, geartracs are the way to go. My kayak has the 6 removable pads to mount stuff onto and work great. I had scotty rod holders on mine and did not like them, went with ram rod holders and they work great. Dont worry about looking at the rod, if they bite you will know. I have the adapt a post system on my tracs because when targeting other species i can just switch the rod holders up to the front. i have my rod holders fairly tight, but somewhat loose enough for if a fish strikes, it will rotate straight back. its just the way i like it, like EMSer said, you will tweak it to your needs.
                  Native Watercraft Pro Staff
                  2016 Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 13 Lizard Lick

2016 CCA MD "BLUE CAT" Tournament 2nd place
                  33rd MSSA "THE CHAMPIONSHIP" Tournament 1st place
                  2016 Curley's White Perch Tournament 1st place

Comment

Working...
                  X