Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PADDLERS: Where do you mount your rod holders for trolling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PADDLERS: Where do you mount your rod holders for trolling?

Just curious...where do you mount your rod holders for trolling while paddling? Ideally you'd wanna see the rod tips for lure action and hits, but you'd obviously wanna keep stuff clear of your stroke pattern. Just curious as to what position works best for paddlers who troll.

Thanks
    <insert witty comment here>

I have two fixed-mount Scotty bases behind the seat. I put pivotable Scotty rod holders into those bases. Before drilling holes for the bolts, I set the bases in numerous positions to optimize two factors:

1) The ability to easily reach around to grab the rod either to put it in the holder or to remove it for fighting a fish.
    2) Take your trolling rod with the longest butt section and put it in the holder then pivot the holder. You want to find a position where the rod butt does not bump into the back of your seat when it is pivoted out.

I also use two more Scotty rod holders in front of the seat. For the front, it really helps if you have gear tracks on either side. You can use several types of base mounts that slide in the gear tracks. That way you can move them around until you find the best combination of: a) easy reaching from the sitting position, and b) minimizing interference with the paddle stroke. I troll 4 lines in both my paddle-power Manta Ray and my pedal-power Slayer Propel.

You mentioned wanting to see the rod tips. In my experience, when a fish hits, you know immediately -- the rod begins shaking -- and you do not need to see the rod tips. For the rods in front of you, you can see the shaking right away. For the ones behind you, if you chose a spot close enough to your seat back, you will feel the rod shaking and occasionally slapping into the seat back.

Here is a link to a post I made on another site showing how I put rod holders on a kayak. http://www.nativeownersgroup.com/sho...ng-rod-holders
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks for the detailed reply John. I have used rear rod holders for trolling before, and I agree...you definitely can hear and feel (seatback-mounted rod holders) the hits. I have had times where the lure ran afoul due to debris, and I didn't know until I looked back at the tips.

Comment

For around $20 you can get the Scotty 480. Its an adapter for the flush mount rod holders with a rocket launcher tube attached. You could drop a couple of them in the holders behind your seat and then rotate and angle them to suit your needs.
        2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
        Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

I put one Scotty No. 253 Gimbal Mount on each flush mount holder and connect the No. 279 Bait Caster holder to it. With this setup I can position the rod in different angles.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Are you guys mounting these fore or aft of the seat?

Comment

Metro...setting my yak up now to mount two rocket type rod holders forward of my seat... prob use the geartrac and i like the scotty products.. talked to a rep from hook one and he suggested the ram products. i paddle and def want to keep my paddle sweep clear. i dont troll much and have been ok but when i do and the rods are aft what a pain in everything to keep lookin back... as we all know vision, reach and quick hook set so important... hate to miss em that way. hope i can get it set up and still be able to deal with paddle clearance and quick n easy reach to the rods. Tight lines & Bent rods Always my Friend!!

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
                Just curious...where do you mount your rod holders for trolling while paddling? Ideally you'd wanna see the rod tips for lure action and hits, but you'd obviously wanna keep stuff clear of your stroke pattern. Just curious as to what position works best for paddlers who troll.

Thanks
                My kayak has factory installed flush mount rod holders forward and aft. I do use the forward ones for trolling. Work great. I prefer to keep an eye on the rods rather than have them aft, esp. when trolling soft tails and small bluefish are around or just to see when the lure catches a weed or something. They are far enough forward and don’t interfere with paddling but still within easy reach. I sometimes use an insert into the rod holder that allows me to use a Scotty rod holder for more versatility i.e. when I want the rods at a different angle, for more spread or if the rod butt is short or to keep the reels from the constant salt bath. (See Pic) As a foot note since the yak came with flush mounts I use them, but if they didn’t I’d use a Scotty deck base or other mfg. base as they are more versatile and it goes without saying, flush mounts forward really need some extra sealant.

mal.jpg
                Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
                Predator 13

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions!

Comment

I have a table mounted on slide trax rails with the rod holders mounted on either side of the table, I slide the table up front and it's out of the way of paddling and I can still see / reach the rods.
                    Mark Harrison

Hobie Outback - Yellow

Comment

Key is to have the butt close enough to you so that it is easy to grab, but rod angled forward to keep rod and line out of the paddlestroke.....7ft pole minimum if it is going to be in a rod holder in front of the paddler IMHO
                      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

DSCN0158.jpgDSCN0158.jpg Not sure if photo loaded (first time) but you should consider mounting flush holdersd in the Torque's center hatch we did a mod to my Son in Laws Trident 11 for the Susky Flat Jamboree, and he loved having them out front. We took the time to set them far enough front paddling is not effected at all. My trident Ultra has side mounted flush holders, they are great , BUT I wish they were about two inches farther front. I poste d a threa don SOL, titled Trident 11 Modifications there are a couple neat things there. Losing the center hatch all together and making a hinged one out of Starboard woks real well!......Jack

PS You guys were next to us at the campground!

Comment

Originally posted by FishingGeek View Post
                          I have a table mounted on slide trax rails with the rod holders mounted on either side of the table, I slide the table up front and it's out of the way of paddling and I can still see / reach the rods.
                          I'd like to see that. Do you have any pictures?
                          2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                          Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

I use the factory holders behind the seat, loosen up the drag a little, as soon as I hear the "clicking" from the reel I'm either snagged on something or there's a fish on. I tried the rods in front and the paddle always got tangled in the lines a real PITA that was.

Comment

My forward rod holder arrangement
                              14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                              2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Working...
                              X