Event One (Mattawoman) Patterns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Event One (Mattawoman) Patterns

Mattawoman has rapidly become one of my favorite places to fish. I like throwing lures to targets at short range. Down at Mattawoman there are plenty of targets (laydowns, spatterdock, milfoil and hydrilla).

For our tournament on Saturday with one quick look at Mattawoman you could tell that we were not as far along in "greening up" as we were for last years tournament. Our day was also going to be dominated by the arrival of low tide at 11:55 A.M. Both of those factors helped me zero in on one location. The dozen bass I landed all came from one 75 yard stretch.

In that area there is a large shallow flat that the bass roam about during high tide. As the water recedes towards low tide those bass pull back to the next break to deeper water. I found a developing spatterdock field that was growing all the way out to that first break providing some final cover as the bass have to exit the flat. When we first started fishing and the water was higher, those spatterdock pads were still submerged. I started feeling them as I was fan-casting about with the plastic worm. My first two strikes of the day came early and I managed to miss setting the hook on both fish. However I had found fish so I felt like I had a good chance of catching a quick 3 in this area. I then went 90 minutes without another tap.

I decided to be patient and waited as the water to continued to drop. As the tide went out my spatterdock field became more well defined. I planted my stake out pole down and began to probe various spots where the pads were dense, where they were sparse, where the water was a little deeper or a little shallower. Suddenly another strike on the worm and I quickly had a 15" bass on the board. Over the next 20 minutes I landed another 15" and a 14" on the worm and had a limit to improve. You know what they say, "never leave fish to find fish", so I stayed and dissected this stretch and would pull out a 14" or a 15" every so often.

While I felt the worm was the way to catch them I also had a football jig tied on my second rod. With the football jig I have more direct contact with the bottom. I can feel around better down there. I was tossing the jig looking for the "outside pad edge" when I got the tell tail "bump". A 16" bass! An upgrade! Hmmm, maybe I should try the jig for a while! I started intentionally bumping the pad stems with the football jig and the 17" hit with just 7 feet of line out. Most of my casts were 15 to 20 feet max. A long cast in a pad field is just an invitation to get snagged up. This is an advantage for us kayak guys. With our lower and smaller profile we can get close to these bass in cover without spooking them.

So at this point I am sitting with a 15.5 and 16 and a 17.25. From talking with some other anglers going past it sounds like the bite was not fast and furious today. I would really like to upgrade that 15.5 but the space between bites now seems to be getting longer and longer. I look up and see another pad has surfaced as we are now knocking on low tide's front door. I paddle over. Drop the stake out pole and quietly pitch my jig next to that pad. I feel the jig hit the bottom and wait about 2 seconds. A bass blasts the jig. I set the hook. A 19" bass jumps straight up completely clearing the water. Heart in throat. Big struggle at the side of the boat. She manages to get underneath the kayak and wrapped up on a pad stem underneath me. I drag her out and she goes nuts dancing around the surface and I miss lipping her about 3 times. Finally I manage to lip her. I clip her to my fish grip to let her swim while I get the board and camera ready. Picture taken and checked, I then slide her back into the water. Yeesh!

For the rest of the fishing day I would catch another 14" to 15" with ever increasing infrequency. I did briefly leave this stretch to drop my jig next to the outer most pad in a couple of other pad fields (as that was where the 19" was positioned) but caught no fish at any other location.

If anyone has a pattern or presentation to share from yesterday I would love to hear about it.

humpback!

in dense pads:

outer edge at low tide:

the lures I caught all my fish on:

a 3/8 ounce football jig with a Tiny Paca Craw in "Alabama Craw" as a trailer

a Confidence Baits 1/4 ounce Draggin' Head with a 7" Culprit Fax Max Worm in Junebug

Last edited by Turtle135; 04-27-2014, 09:44 AM.
    Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Nice write up Dave. It was nice meeting and chatting with you yesterday. I unfortunately did not have things figured out as well as you did though. Congratulations on coming in 1st and with the biggest fish.
    BRETT
    Red/Yellow COBRA Navigator

Comment

I'm going to start calling you "The Doctor". Way to disect what was going on! As always thanks for sharing what worked for you.

Comment

Thanks for report.

I had a tough time with the spatterdocks. I didn't know how to fish them with the exception of Frogging I did see everyone hitting them but I couldn't get any love.

I tried to find gravel areas but I only found 2 small areas but nothing hit. What I did find were points where there were logs or vegetation with logs. Running a lipless or chatter bait got my 3 bites all day long. Unfortunately, the 2 that got unbutton were nice ones (2-3 lb range) that got off when they took air. DOH!.

This was my 2nd time here and first time during the spring. It's more "marshy" than what I'm used to on the VA side of the potomac. It seemed like in the 6mph zone, all most everything had mud or full of emerging weed/grass bottom. I drifted down the right side on the low and went back up on the other side on the high. The other side did have more grass though.

Comment

Thanks for the report HokieDJ. In the next month or so I find any spot with "vegetation and logs" to be money. The wild thing about Mattawoman is how rapidly that creek changes over the course of a season. In august you won't find me throwing a football jig. I would be dredging up a pound of weeds with each retrieve.
          Last edited by Turtle135; 04-27-2014, 10:42 AM.
          Dave

Comment

Nice fish Dave it was cool talking with you after one of my favorites to just wasnt prepared for it not being greened up yet took to long to find a pattern
            D Hawk
            Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
            Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

Nice writeup Dave, and congratulations!

Like you, I caught most of my fish at low tide in dense spatterdock. All on a single chatterbait. Oddly enough and to my surprise, the chatterbait does a good job of getting around the weeds without too much snagging, especially when you get the hang of "guiding" it through. With so many casts in shallow water, I'm appalled at my inability to still hook into my first snakehead.
              Mike S.
              Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
              3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Great report Dave! I too was throwing the 7" worm, but only felt 3 or 4 bumps. While sitting with the gliter rockets in the pads, I noticed them throwing smaller profile white/chartreuse spinnerbaits using a moderate retrieve and having success! I tried the same presentation, but no luck. I did throw the football jig, but I need to work on my patience. Congrats on the 1st place finish as well as Big Bass!!!! You definitely earned/deserved it!!

Comment

Great report! One of these days I will give it a shot and participate in one of these.

I saw on a guy on TV the other day retrieving a jig w/ craw trailer just like a slow rolled spinnerbait. I tried it out that evening from shore in a local pond and caught the only 2 fish I have gotten out of there this year.

I've been doing well recently casting to submerged downfalls. Most recently they seem to be hanging around the deeper areas of the deadfalls in 3-5'.
                  Mike

Comment

Originally posted by chex View Post
                    Oddly enough and to my surprise, the chatterbait does a good job of getting around the weeds without too much snagging, especially when you get the hang of "guiding" it through.
                    That is a good presentation. I think the blade on those chatterbaits does a good job of "blocking" for the hook point. I have been experimenting with some home made bladed jigs.
                    Dave

Comment

Great report Dave and congrats again on placing first overall and biggest Bass. I was only able to get one on the yak at 17 3/4". When we launched from Slavins I went right and immediately headed to beyond the 3rd point and began fishing the shore line to the right of Marsh Island. I was casting a crank bait, spinner bait, and also a jig to see if I could get any takers. I fished for the first 2 hours like this because I have a hard time passing by downed trees and nice looking cover. I noticed a lot off Bass boats where fishing open water around Marsh Island and it became more obvious as the tide made its way further out, there was spatterdock all over!. I made my way over to it around 10am and began throwing a spinner bait. I watched a guy on a boat catch one after another and I began thinking what am I doing wrong here. I stayed pretty committed to the area and my first and only fish came at about 11 on a gold/brown spinner bait. Bass boats came and went and the catches became few and far between for them as well. The wind started blowing me (and I am sure everyone else) around like I was leaf. Finally got to see how the PA 12 handles it and I must say that it sucks. The steering was terrible and I could barely get it to go the way I wanted, so the last hour was spent cursing mother nature out!. All in all it was a great day on the water as always and I have my calender marked for the next one.

Comment

Great job Dave! I wasn't as lucky. It was great to be out on the water!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        WS ATAK

Comment

As I said in my message Dave...well done and even more well deserved!

Hope to be healed on on the water by May8th so I can enjoy the next tourney in person.
                          Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

I caught all 6-7 of my fish on a Kanan Lures AlosaMinion Crankbait in "Chewgill" Color.

I will start out by saying that I pretty much live and die by fishing for active fish, I don't have enough patience to fish other ways unless I really absolutely have to, to catch fish . I found a location the week before that produced on the outgoing tide so that was my plan for the morning. I fished the stretch leading up to this spot and then casting at this one location of 20yd shoreline for about 1.5 hours. Caught my first 3 fish there 15",14", and 13". As the tide slowed I knew the bit would to at this location, so I when to my next spot Smallwood park to hope to find a big girl that had recently been released. I found some cleaner water (what I always try to find) and put the 17.75" fish in the boat. Explored and fished some of the rocky and gravel shorelines bouncing the crank off the bottom and pausing I caught a few more fish, but nothing being enough to upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by CB kayak 02 View Post
                              I caught all 6-7 of my fish on a Kanan Lures AlosaMinion Crankbait in "Chewgill" Color
                              was this a sponsor plug? Hahaha. I never heard of Kanan Lures before the tournament so i watched some youtube videos and man do they have some of the best action I have ever seen from a lure. Seeing as you caught way more fish then me I see that they also work.

Comment

Working...
                              X