Disappointing day at Homeport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disappointing day at Homeport

My brother and I had 2-3 spare hours this afternoon, so we decided to take an impromptu trip out of Homeport Park. When we arrived, we noticed that someone had decided to dig a 3-foot deep hole in the center of the walking path to the launch. We were able to navigate around the hole, but whoever dug it hauled away the dirt, almost as if to disguise it. Very strange.

After 2 hours on the water, we drove up the narrow lane to exit the park, but found our way completely blocked by a a large pile of debris that was not there when we had arrived. The debris included a number of pallets, old lumber, an old bird bath, a couch, a hot water heater, a door, and a lawn mower. There was no way around the debris pile because the drive was lined by trees on one side and an old barn on the other. My brother and I stepped out of the car, made a few choice statements, and then walked into the Homeport neighborhood. There, we found someone who blamed some of the neighborhood kids, and he brought the kids over to help with the cleanup. Neither kid was strong enough to lift a single pallet -- let alone a couch or an old water heater. Draw your own conclusions from that.

Has anyone else had problems like this at Homeport?
    Golden Papaya Outback

Yes, we have seen pics of the debris pile before. Most members are assuming these mysterious obstacles are being created by the neighborhood homeowners. Unbelievable how such a high end development can have low class people! It's a very childish way to go about their dispute. The parking lot and launching point is in such a remote location I don't see how this access can raise the red flag. From what you explained, this could have been dangerous if you had an emergency and needed to exit in a hurry. I would send a snaggedline member named "Lisa" a private message just to let her know about the current actions of the locals. She has really been a vital person in giving us more access to AA county launching sites.
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Wow. It is amazing how aggressive and disrespectful people can be to a stranger. Glad to hear at least that it wasn't like an ambush point to be abducted or anything.
      Mike

Comment

sounds like a good place to hide a GoPro or place some Trail cameras...get images of the idiot who is doing it & turn them in. I may go there just to instigate the SOB.
        Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

Good points, Jeremy. I made the same point about emergency egress to the homeowner I spoke with, and an under my breath comment about needing a tetanus shot after removing the junk pile. I suspect that the neighborhood homeowners are less concerned about people who use the park for legitimate purposes and more concerned about keeping people out in the evening hours. Regardless of their intent, it does not excuse what they are doing.
          Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

Originally posted by MD Dore View Post
            Good points, Jeremy. I made the same point about emergency egress to the homeowner I spoke with, and an under my breath comment about needing a tetanus shot after removing the junk pile. I suspect that the neighborhood homeowners are less concerned about people who use the park for legitimate purposes and more concerned about keeping people out in the evening hours. Regardless of their intent, it does not excuse what they are doing.
            I sent a PM with info from Lisa. This has happened to other people who have gone down to look at the launch site and came out to be blocked in with similar debris.

Comment

sounds like a good place to hold a meet & greet... I would warn anyone planning on going here to check the vehicle access points & around your vehicle before leaving, for nails or debris deliberately placed to flatten tires. Its only a matter of time before this jerk/s ramp up their efforts to thwart access.
              Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

Has anyone launched out of Homeport since MD Dore had the "roadblock day"?

I landed there on Wednesday and walked up to the road. I didn't see any problems.

Lisa

Comment

Guess not. Please come to the June Anne Arundel County Water Access Committee meeting and we'll talk about Homeport Farm Park.

The WAC meeting is next Wednesday, June 11, 2014 at 6 pm. It's in the DPW building at 445 Maxell Frye Road, Millersville MD 21108.

See you there.

Lisa

Comment

I finally found time to return to Homeport on Saturday. It's condition was the best I've seen since the park opened. They've widened the path to the water and have filled in the bumps along the way.
                    Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

Working...
                    X