my beefed up version of the DIY Palmetto Kayak Cart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my beefed up version of the DIY Palmetto Kayak Cart

I took some pictures for another angler of my kayak cart so I figured I would post it up here in case anyone finds this useful.

link to the Palmetto Kayak Cart
    http://palmettokayakfishing.blogspot...art-build.html

My beefed up version of the DIY Palmetto Kayak Cart.

I use the same diameter 5/8" steel rod but I purchased a higher grade (stronger steel) rod. I also purchased some Marathon Flat Free Hand Truck Tires at Home Depot. They are more expensive but while they are solid they still provide a quiet cushioned roll with a loaded kayak. I used 1.5" PVC and I put 4 screws in each joint instead of just using PVC glue.

I did not bother with the "kick-stand" arm. Mine sits on the ground resting on the long arms. When you set the kayak on the arms, the arms automatically "tip up" to the bottom the kayak. I also chose an arm width that fits the pontoon bottom of my Ride 115.

I line up my cart mid-ship and point it towards the nose of the kayak.

I pick up the back end of the kayak and then pivot it over the cart, then lower it.

add straps for rough terrain (on hard flat surfaces I can get away without strapping it).

It breaks down into components that fit in my front hatch.

So far I have done rolls of 4 miles without any problems. If you get the cart centered under the kayak at the right spot, the cart bears all the weight.
    Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Dave's cart works. Saw him use it to hump his gear miles up the C&O Canal for last years Brunswick meet and greet.

Comment

Dave, nice write-up. Add a tow bar, like this one, and you can tow it up the C&O. Going back to pickup your bike is the only flaw, any advice on floating the bike back down river is welcome!
      Mike
      Feelfree Lure 11.5
      Ocean Kayak Zest Two EXP

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
        Dave, nice write-up. Add a tow bar, like this one, and you can tow it up the C&O. Going back to pickup your bike is the only flaw, any advice on floating the bike back down river is welcome!
        I have considered the bike option but so far just walking it up from Lander to Brunswick (or Point of Rocks to Lander) has worked pretty well (and then there is no bike to lock up and retrieve). Not to mention the fact that I could use the exercise!
        Dave

Comment

The fourth picture says it all. By building the cart yourself, you get to customize it to fit your kayak.
          That setup looks rock solid. Nice work Dave.
          2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
          Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Nice cart! One thought , for rough terrain or long walks, run your strap through the side handles of kayak, cart can't loosen up and slide back then......jack

Comment

Dave, you had any problem with the all-thread and nuts coming loose on long walks? That's the only part I am weary of and might prefer a solid bar with hitch pins.

I agree on the centered cart. We use ours for hunting and carry more weight than fishing. If you don't center up that cart your arm gets a lot of weight on it like a tongue weight on a hitch and get tired fast.
              "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Originally posted by archeryrob View Post

I agree on the centered cart.
                +1. I try to load heavy stuff aft of the cart if possible.
                <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by Turtle135 View Post
                  I have considered the bike option but so far just walking it up from Lander to Brunswick (or Point of Rocks to Lander) has worked pretty well (and then there is no bike to lock up and retrieve). Not to mention the fact that I could use the exercise!
                  I was also inspired by your feat and tried biking up the trail a month later, but disaster struck trying to build a tie point for my mountain bike. Fortunetly I failed in my driveway. My hope was to be able to do a 8-10 mile float for an entire day. Maybe this year I'll customize my mitey-mini with something that will fit my tunnel hull.
                  PigPen - Mt Airy
                  Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Originally posted by archeryrob View Post
                    Dave, you had any problem with the all-thread and nuts coming loose on long walks? That's the only part I am weary of and might prefer a solid bar with hitch pins.
                    I have not had a problem with that. The nut snugs up against what I guess is the bearing on those marathon tires, so no spin is imparted.
                    Dave

Comment

Nice Job Dave!
                      2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Working...
                      X