Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank You Turtle 135,

That was the answer I was looking for.
    Do you, can you gut and remove the head while on the water?

What is each of your preferences? Specifically when catching a snakehead, abd in general. I started carrying an insulated fish bag for this reason ( I only went out once and was skunked ).

Thanks,
    PudgyPrawn

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk
    Ascend FS10

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
      Please don't release snakeheads back into the water.
      http://www.pierandsurf.com/fishing-f...into-the-water

Apparently it is OK to release them if you don't keep them now per DNR
      Sevylor SK100DS Inflatable

Comment

I don't see anywhere where DNR says it's okay to release snakeheads. The link I posted is straight from the DNR site.

Just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
        Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
          I don't see anywhere where DNR says it's okay to release snakeheads. The link I posted is straight from the DNR site.

Just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its cool.
          I don't plan on releasing them anyway.

Apparently if you contact DNR and ask them they will tell you it is ok to release. Maybe they havent updated the website.. who knows. havent actually tried contacting them myself so thats that.

Comment

I myself am looking forward to trying them. I understand that they are tasty.
            PP

Ascend FS10

Comment

Originally posted by VuDism View Post
              Hello all,

New to 'yak fishing here, been lurking the forums for tips/tricks and finally decided to register.
              Took my Sea Eagle 365 inflatable with a friend out to Roaches Run last Saturday to try out kayaking. Everything was good except didn't catch any fish. Yes, I know there is varying opinions on inflatable kayaks, but IMO, I have to do some dumb stuff to get the inflatable to sink. The materials used are pretty darn tough. Plus, I have no choice as my one and only car is a 2013 Scion FRS. I recently ordered a Sevylor K5 Hot Fish Kayak inflatable (which I will try out this weekend) as it seems to be much smaller and manageable to fish with.

Anyway, I plan on going down to Mattawoman Creek to fish for snakeheads. Been trying to fish these delicious creatures for a few years now from shore, but had no luck.. always went at the wrong places at the wrong times. Figured my best bet is to get into kayaking to catch this fish rod & reel style. I will be going with 2 friends and my dad (he grew up fishing snakeheads in Vietnam). The plan is to launch at Mattingly Ave. Park at 7am and fish upstream. I have a collection of various frogs, chatter, buzzbaits etc. I have life jacket, whistle, and repair kit for my inflatable just in case.

Any other advice and what to expect will be greatly appreciated. . .

Thanks,
              Vu
              Like Dave said there will probably be close to 40+ kayaks there Saturday morning for a tournament, so it may be a little crowded in the creek. Just a heads up.

Comment

you know that really sucks as we planned this trip awhile back. . .

Comment

There's always Pohick or Leesylvania state park if you want to go for snakehead.

Comment

we will see.
                    I may just launch from smallwood. stay out of the tourneys way further upstream.

Comment

There is a push by some anglers to naturalize snakeheads instead of trying to eradicate them. They're fun, taste great and as far as I know, there is not yet any evidence suggesting they are actually harming the ecosystem as previously feared.
                      Mike S.
                      Hobie Outback
                      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                      3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by chex View Post
                        There is a push by some anglers to naturalize snakeheads instead of trying to eradicate them. They're fun, taste great and as far as I know, there is not yet any evidence suggesting they are actually harming the ecosystem as previously feared.
                        I am definitely one of the anglers that would not want to eradicate them. I think they make the Potomac an even BETTER river to fish on

Comment

Originally posted by VuDism View Post
                          I am definitely one of the anglers that would not want to eradicate them. I think they make the Potomac an even BETTER river to fish on
                          You could launch at the top of the creek at the small bridge on 225. The snakeheads are all the way up there and should have most of that to yourself most of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by PudgyPrawn View Post
                            Do you, can you gut and remove the head while on the water?
                            Yes (unlike other sport fish in season) you can remove the head and gut snakeheads while on the water.
                            Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Thanks again Turtle 135.
                              CB kayak 02.... I put in at that 225 bridge, I paddled out toward the main water and ran against dry ground. He other direction ended in very shallow water surrounded by woods. Was I in the wrong place?

Ascend FS10

Comment

Originally posted by CB kayak 02 View Post
                                You could launch at the top of the creek at the small bridge on 225. The snakeheads are all the way up there and should have most of that to yourself most of the day.
                                Is this what you speak of?...

Comment

Working...
                                X