Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to 'Yak fishing: Trying Mattawoman Creek Sat. 04/26/14

Hello all,

New to 'yak fishing here, been lurking the forums for tips/tricks and finally decided to register.
    Took my Sea Eagle 365 inflatable with a friend out to Roaches Run last Saturday to try out kayaking. Everything was good except didn't catch any fish. Yes, I know there is varying opinions on inflatable kayaks, but IMO, I have to do some dumb stuff to get the inflatable to sink. The materials used are pretty darn tough. Plus, I have no choice as my one and only car is a 2013 Scion FRS. I recently ordered a Sevylor K5 Hot Fish Kayak inflatable (which I will try out this weekend) as it seems to be much smaller and manageable to fish with.

Anyway, I plan on going down to Mattawoman Creek to fish for snakeheads. Been trying to fish these delicious creatures for a few years now from shore, but had no luck.. always went at the wrong places at the wrong times. Figured my best bet is to get into kayaking to catch this fish rod & reel style. I will be going with 2 friends and my dad (he grew up fishing snakeheads in Vietnam). The plan is to launch at Mattingly Ave. Park at 7am and fish upstream. I have a collection of various frogs, chatter, buzzbaits etc. I have life jacket, whistle, and repair kit for my inflatable just in case.

Any other advice and what to expect will be greatly appreciated. . .

Thanks,
    Vu
    Last edited by VuDism; 04-23-2014, 11:39 AM. Reason: more details
    Sevylor SK100DS Inflatable

Vu?
    I take it that your Dad has eaten many of the snakeheads?
    Any good recipes?

Thanks,
    Pudgy Prawn

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk
    Ascend FS10

Comment

Originally posted by PudgyPrawn View Post
      Vu?
      I take it that your Dad has eaten many of the snakeheads?
      Any good recipes?

Thanks,
      Pudgy Prawn

I've eaten them as well, my uncle caught some with a spear a couple years ago and gave them to us.
      I've had them 2 ways, both Vietnamese style. One was a tamarind based soup, and the other is simmered in caramel sauce.

Unfortunately I do not know the recipe. I heard they are good just battered and fried... then again.. what isn't good battered and fried.

Comment

I think the water is a touch too cold to be using top-water frogs. I would think you'd do better bu going with a slower sub-surface lure.
        Young Apprentice

2015 Outback Papaya
        WS Ride 115 Mango
        WS Tarpon 100

Comment

Originally posted by KenY View Post
          I think the water is a touch too cold to be using top-water frogs. I would think you'd do better bu going with a slower sub-surface lure.
          Thanks. I have those lures as well, definitely try them out. Any specific ones you recommend ?

Comment

If I was going, I'd try a Texas rigged worm, a bigger profile suspending crankbait worked slow, and maybe Colorado blade spinner bait worked slow along the bottom.
            Young Apprentice

2015 Outback Papaya
            WS Ride 115 Mango
            WS Tarpon 100

Comment

Well, there should be plenty of Kayaks there on Saturday. The MAKBF Tournament launches out of Slavins at 7:00 A.M.

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...ent-1-Pre-Info

If you feel like participating feel free to join us!

As for snakeheads I have caught most of mine on spinnerbaits. If they are in a less aggressive mood I will throw big, dark weightless plastic worms at them. A lot of guys throw frogs down there. The weightless plastic worm shows the snakeheads a profile they do not see as much. If you texas rig it (but without a weight) you can throw into weeds and wood without hanging up (same places you would throw a frog). Good luck!

p.s. - when you catch a snakehead and get it into your kayak get it secured as fast as you can, expect the snakehead to "go nuts" when you least expect it (they will sit there calmly for 60 seconds then explode into a fury trying to escape).
              Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Chatterbaits seem to work great as well.

Comment

Thanks for everyone's advice so far. I'm actually a bit of a novice lure fishing as i've mostly been bottom fishing with bait.

Comment

11 snakeheads have been "reported" caught on top water frogs...
                    Zach Moore
                    Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
                    Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
                    Bait Towel Pro Staff
                    2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                    YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Originally posted by BassMoore View Post
                      11 snakeheads have been "reported" caught on top water frogs...
                      That's the same reports I've read.
                      I'll be out there most of the morning into the afternoon so I'll try everything I've got in my box

Comment

So? Once you land one of the snakeheads onto your kayak ,taking off their heads sooner rather then later is a good idea? I was wondering what works best while still out on the water.

Thanks,
                        PudgyPrawn

Ascend FS10

Comment

apparently you are supposed to kill them right away by law or if you dont want to eat them you are allowed to release them back in the water...

I plan to eat them, and I think it sucks i have to kill it so many hours before I get home.
                          Lol... i dont intend on releasing them in my local pond or something which is what they worry about. I just wish I can take it home ALIVE and butcher it right before I eat it for freshness.

Comment

Originally posted by PudgyPrawn View Post
                            So? Once you land one of the snakeheads onto your kayak ,taking off their heads sooner rather then later is a good idea? I was wondering what works best while still out on the water.
                            I usually go for a knife blade in the back of the skull on top to sever the spinal cord. Some people tear out the gills but that only "eventually" kills them.
                            Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Originally posted by VuDism View Post
                              apparently you are supposed to kill them right away by law or if you dont want to eat them you are allowed to release them back in the water...
                              Please don't release snakeheads back into the water.

Originally posted by MD DNR
                              If you catch a northern snakehead, kill it and DO NOT put it back in the water. If the snakehead has a tag, measure the length, make note of the exact location of capture, and call the toll free number printed on the tag. Information that you provide is important in determining control and management strategies.
                              http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries...head/index.asp
                              2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                              Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Working...
                              X