Hand Paddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand Paddle

Anyone use a hand paddle? Is it useful or a gimmick?

I can see where it would be handy, especially in close to the bank when a cast goes awry and lands in a low hanging tree limb.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

I am taking my assault hand paddle by backwater paddle company out today, will let you know this evening.

Comment

mine moves my pro angler around just fine

It takes a little getting used to as you dont have a longer pole for more leverage. but if you are only moving just a little bit, its alot easier to use that and keep the paddle strapped up
        Zach Moore
        Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
        Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
        Bait Towel Pro Staff
        2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
        YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

I have never used a "hand paddle", but I have a pair of these just in case I get separated from my paddle. Never tried wearing them while simultaneously fishing.

darkfin.jpg
          2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
          Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

I've won a few over the years and have yet to use them. HOWEVER, I do plan on using them to beat keeper fish on the head with...I used pliers in the past to knock fish out.
            <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I have launched my Slayer Propel from Jonas Green 4 times so far. Each time I climb on the seat when the kayak is in about 12-15" of water depth. For a margin of safety before lowering the Propel drive, I take one half of my regular paddle and paddle out another few yards. Then I stow the paddle in the rear well. The hand paddle would accomplish that same function. But if my Propel broke while far from the ramp, the hand paddle would not be very useful for getting back. Since I plan to carry the full regular paddle (stored as two halves) anyway, there is not much use for the hand paddle too.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

John thats a good point,

The pro angler has a place to store the half padle, but i also keep the Backwater hand paddle in one of the rod holders on my black pak, its only used to move me in short distances... mainly to go backwards in the PA.

I rarley use the half paddle but to launch and come back to the launch on the drive comes out.

its very convenient to have the hand paddle to make slight adjustments though.
                Zach Moore
                Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
                Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
                Bait Towel Pro Staff
                2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Originally posted by On the fly View Post
                  I am taking my assault hand paddle by backwater paddle company out today, will let you know this evening.
                  So I took it out with me today and found it more inconvienent than not. Since I have a jackson cuda 14 and have to paddle I find that my paddle always being out works fine. Now when I had my hobie pro angler where you peddle the smaller assault hand paddle would work well in that situation for an occasional assist or for reverse.. Just my one day opinion.

Comment

I agree, if I was on a paddle kayak, the hand paddle wouldn't have much use.
                    Hobie fleet:
                    2017 Quest 13
                    2015 Outback
                    2014 Outback

Comment

For a pedal kayak they are nice, especially in smaller calm waters.

Comment

While fishing shorelines and laydowns this past season I found myself using my bare hand in the water quite a few times to try to position myself better.
                        That doesnt work to good so this winter I picked up one of the orange telescopic paddles to use as a hand paddle. Just need to figure out how to store it so its easy to grab and put back and not be in the way.
                        2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                        2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Working...
                        X