Susquehanna Flats 4/21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Susquehanna Flats 4/21

Met up with Mike (mweber02) @ Tydings around 11:15 am to fish the incoming tide. We're both new to fishing the flats, so we weren't really sure where to go. Decided to go for the nearby channel that runs south on the western side of the flats. Didn't work out so I pitched the idea of heading to the light rail bridge to fish for yellow perch (there was a post somewhere mentioning that yellow perch fishing should be good). We drifted in ~20ft of water, close to the center of the Susquehanna river, near Congress Street Park. Mike was using a 1oz bucktail with a chartreuse BA Shad Assassin (5 or 6'') and caught a beautiful 36'' rock. Looked like they were hanging near the bottom at around ~20ft.

10306266_10154175939795495_6836793208386315485_n.jpg
    10245501_10154175939820495_3840483218263815099_n.jpg
    Attached Files
    Daniel Kwon
    2019 Hobie Outback Slate Blue
    2002 Triumph 190 Bay Suzuki DF115

Glad we were able to get out and learn a little today. I definitely owe some credit to you for that fish, I'm not sure if I would have paddled over there after all of the trolling. So thanks for my new personal best!
    Mike

Comment

Nice job.

Mobile Phone

Outback 2015
      Maui

Comment

Great Job Mike!! Looks like you have 1% of the flats figured out
        2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Nice fish Mike. A 36" striper from a kayak is a pretty good performance.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I was out today as well. I fished a shad ditch in the center of the flats with nothing. Headed over towards Stump Pt where I've caught fish in the past, again...nothing. Fourth trip out with nada. I'm glad you got one because they are very tough to come by the last two years. It proves that they are out there. I fished 12 FOW along weed lines. Perhaps they were along the main channel. i stay out of there because I'm afraid of the boat traffic, but maybe that was the ticket.....there's only so many places you can try in a kayak before running out of time/energy. Water clarity was still quite poor and lost visibility of my lure quickly, which is not good.

I saw two kayaks out as I was heading in. It must have been you guys. I would have paddled over but I had to meet the wife in Baltimore. Good job on that nice fish!

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
            Alan

Comment

Originally posted by mweber02 View Post
              Glad we were able to get out and learn a little today. I definitely owe some credit to you for that fish, I'm not sure if I would have paddled over there after all of the trolling. So thanks for my new personal best!
              Haha, the effort definitely paid off!

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
              I was out today as well. I fished a shad ditch in the center of the flats with nothing. Headed over towards Stump Pt where I've caught fish in the past, again...nothing. Fourth trip out with nada. I'm glad you got one because they are very tough to come by the last two years. It proves that they are out there. I fished 12 FOW along weed lines. Perhaps they were along the main channel. i stay out of there because I'm afraid of the boat traffic, but maybe that was the ticket.....there's only so many places you can try in a kayak before running out of time/energy. Water clarity was still quite poor and lost visibility of my lure quickly, which is not good.

I saw two kayaks out as I was heading in. It must have been you guys. I would have paddled over but I had to meet the wife in Baltimore. Good job on that nice fish!
              Ah yup, we definitely saw you going in. Maybe next time
              Daniel Kwon
              2019 Hobie Outback Slate Blue
              2002 Triumph 190 Bay Suzuki DF115

Comment

Working...
              X