Fishfinder help same unit for 2 yaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishfinder help same unit for 2 yaks

Hey guys I want a pretty cheap and basic water proof fishfinder for my yak. I plan to shot thru the hull. I also like to rig a second kayak. So that I can use the same unit on both yaks. And suggestions on what to get and what rigging kit to do the second? Thanks!!!
    Cuda 14
    Big tuna

You could get a transducer deployment arm, and have some kind of detachable base for it. Or get a second transducer for the other kayak. Both of those options kind of negate the "pretty cheap" part you're looking for.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

I did this with my boats and with my yak. I use Humminbird FFs so it was easy to get a mount and transducer for each vessel. Then I just transferred my FF to the one I was using that day. If you go with a Humminbird, all you will need is a second mount and another transducer. I bought mine cheap off fleabay. Once you determine which FF you want to use, you can go to Humminbird's site to see which transducers work with that model. Then all you need to do is set up a search on fleabay.

Regards,

John
      John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
      MK Endura Max 55 backup power
      Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

I use my Lowrance LMS 527 FF/GPS on both kayaks. When I bought the second kayak, I purchased a second transducer and power cable (make sure you get the right cables to match your unit). I installed those in the second kayak. Now depending on which kayak I plan to use, I can unplug the screen unit (attached to a Scotty electronics bracket and move it from one boat to the other.

For details see http://www.nativeownersgroup.com/sho...S-installation.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks for the tips . Can I just use marine goo to mount transducer? What all the talk about in needing to be wet? Is that just for temp? Thanks
          Cuda 14
          Big tuna

Comment

You can mount transducers inside the hull in several ways. On my first two installations, I used Goop to glue the transducer in place. On the next two installations I used duct seal putty (that type of installation is shown in the link I gave above). The nice thing about duct seal is that if you are unhappy with the installation, you can pull up the duct seal putty and move the transducer very easily. When using Goop, the bond between transducer and inside hull is very tight and difficult to separate.

Some of our members prefer using a wet well system. Search back through past posts to learn about that. I raised the question a few weeks ago about what advantages were realized by those who used a wet vs. dry system for inside the hull mounting. I don't recall hearing any compelling reasons other than personal preference.

Many of our members use accessory arms to hang the transducers off the side of the kayak. Others use specialized versions of the transducers that are designed to fit into a scupper hole. Those types of installations will give more accurate water temperature readings than installations made inside the hull. They all work -- you need to decide how simple or complicated you want to make your own installation.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

The only thing that is very important when bonding a transducer to the yak is that you have to get all the air bubbles (or not make any when applying the goop) out of the medium you are using. The reason for this is that sonar does not transmit and receive well in air. The wet well is more forgiving in this respect as the oz or two of water gives continuity with the hull.

It all really gets down to the area where you locate your transducer. If it is in the open where you can work easily, the glue down method is easier to do. If you put it in a hard to get to area, the wet well insures you don't have air pockets.

Regards,

John
              John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
              MK Endura Max 55 backup power
              Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Looking at a cheap piranha max unit. They don't have the quick release. Are they easy to remove when not needed or is it a permeant install? Also this unit doesn't let me mark spots. Any suggestions for a cheap unit with that feature?
                Cuda 14
                Big tuna

Comment

Take a look at the CellBlok, it'll enable you to easily transfer between two yaks. Yes it adds cost but it's relatively simple and cheaper than buying 2 fishfinders.
                  Mike
                  Feelfree Lure 11.5
                  Ocean Kayak Zest Two EXP

Comment

Originally posted by Longtrav View Post
                    Also this unit doesn't let me mark spots. Any suggestions for a cheap unit with that feature?
                    You have to have GPS to do that. The cheapest FF/GPS combos I've seen are the Humminbird Piranha Max 196ci ($199 & color) and Lowrance Mark-4 HDI ($229 & B&W). Probably a bit over what you're planning to spend from the impression I get by your posts. Of those two units, I'd defiantly go with the Lowrance...the reviews on the Piranha are not favorable: no mapping at all.
                    Hobie fleet:
                    2017 Quest 13
                    2015 Outback
                    2014 Outback

Comment

Here is my setup, all packaged together. Description in the first link.

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...3950#post63950

Here is a close up pic. The arm folds allow the Scotty post to twist and lock into place.

http://www.snaggedline.com/attachmen...4&d=1373232221

This was a mix of internet ideas.

Comment

I brought this up in another thread for opinions. Most people were worried about snags, but if you have an extended arm for the transducer, it would be no different. Also, this may not meet your price point, but is just another option to look at... http://www.fishfindermounts.com/#!buy-now/ccbt
                        Anthony

Redfish 12 Angler

Comment

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I decided to go with a. Cheap hummingbird 153 and battery /charger for 100 total. That way i can try it out and upgrade later based on my needs. Thanks again to this wonderful community!
                          Cuda 14
                          Big tuna

Comment

I was going through the same thing this winter and this was my solution.

IMG_20140423_161349_056.jpgIMG_20140423_161421_363.jpgIMG_20140423_161415_486.jpg

The arm folds up. The batteries are in a water proof bottle. The whole thing comes off as one piece and mounts on a trak I installed on each of my yaks.

Comment

Working...
                            X