Fishfinders for Dummies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rob-kayak View Post
    I don't have any experience with maps of Tri and Rocky... my lower end Lowrance won't provide charts for fresh water lakes, I think the higher end models have "chips" than can upgraded and purchased for inland lakes that are detailed.

Its pretty much like the maps you see here....
    http://www.navionics.com/en/webapp
    when you zoom in you see a lot of detail. The more expensive the FF/GPS the more detailed the maps.
    But I have been very happy with my low end $149 Lowrance black and white detail.

I just checked that link... you can view Tridelphia and Rocky Gorge quite well.
    So I am pretty sure you can get detailed maps to plugin to your FF/GPS.
    You'll just have to spend more money than $149....
    The base map on my unit has the same detail as what the link shows.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

The Lowrance HDS series of units comes with extra mapping features installed. You can specify Nautic Insight (most marine waters, including the Chesapeake) or Lake Insight (most North American lakes). These units are not inexpensive, but are full featured and have lots of capabilities. The HDS-5 units occasionally go on sale for less than $500. I have an HDS-5 on my center console. The Lowrance LMS-527 unit I transferred from the center console to my kayak two years ago has an older Navionics SD card that gives good depth contour info for the Chesapeake.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
      X