Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPSP Sunday 4/20

Hi all,

I'm looking to head out from Sandy Point on Sunday afternoon to do some trolling, jig the pilings and maybe drifting with bloodworms. If anyone else is interested I would love some company.

I do have some concern with the boat traffic on opening weekend as I've heard some unpleasant stories on how crowded it gets. Does anyone have experience with opening day in the bay with a kayak? Should I just look to bottom fish or jig instead of trolling? I imagine it would be pretty dangerous to get tangled up with the super wide planar boards spreads that the power boats have.

Opening day traffic has somewhat diminshed over the years as the cost of gas has gone up and the temperature has gone down. However, some guys troll 15 rod spreads so you have to watch out for them. As far as jigging, it can be problematic fishing the pilings on the West side due to the boat traffic coming out of SPSP. You can try jigging the Eastern pilings or around the sewer pipe which will probably be safer.

Additionally, if there is any breeze, you will also have to deal with the sail traffic out of Annapolis.

Is it any wonder us older guys gave up fishing on opening day?

Good luck,

John
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Thanks, I'm thinking about setting up at a drop off and drifting with blood worms now.

Comment

Stay close to pilings and you should be fine. But be aware of your surroundings at all times.

Sent from my YakPhone using Tapatalk
        Mike S.
        Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
        3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Working...
        X