Severn trolling Thurs morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn trolling Thurs morning

Mark and I are planning to launch from Jonas Green about 8:00 am on Thurs morning and troll for several hours looking for stripers in the river. The two of us and Raptor tried this last Sat with no fish caught (Raptor had one on his line, but it came off before he could get it boatside). I did well using this routine last April and May. I have seen a few reports of decent stripers caught from shoreline casting in the Severn over the past week. Sooner or later the fish will be there -- it just takes some persistence.

If anyone else wants to join us, send a pmail or just show up.

P.S. In other Severn fishing news, Mark, Raptor, and I spend a few hours casting in Weems Creek on Monday. For me, April is the most difficult time of year to find fish in the Severn tributaries. I did manage two pickerel casting a Rapala X-Rap, and Mark got one too. Those three fish were a pleasant surprise. The only other fish I saw that day was this juvenile perch or sunfish that I found floating in upper Weems.

002.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Do you guys have trolling motors? I wish I could go!

Comment

Neither of us employs electric motors on our kayaks. I trolled successfully last year in my paddle kayak but did put some serious strain on my aging shoulder joints. Over the winter I purchased a Native Slayer Propel with pedal drive. Mark uses a Hobie with pedal drive. You can troll out of any kayak -- some models make it easier.
      John Veil
      Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
        ou can troll out of any kayak -- some models make it easier.
        That's the truth. Pedals definitely make it easier when trolling.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Looking forward to the report!
          2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
          Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Comment

I plan to head down that way on Saturday. If you want to meet up then, let me know. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Nitefly View Post
              Looking forward to the report!
              Here is the fishing report -- it was a nice day to be on the water. Mark, Yak Diesel, and I each trolled for about 7 miles without a bite. We finished up with a few minutes of pickerel fishing in a tributary. Mark caught one and hooked a second. I had a skunk. Yak Diesel stayed out longer than Mark and me. I hope he found some fish after we left.

The water looked clean with temps in the 51-53 degree range. I expected a good bite today but it was not happening.
              John Veil
              Annapolis

Comment

Thanks for the report.

Comment

Thanks John..
                  GB

Comment

Thanks, John. I wonder if the sudden cold front screwed things up? I think the long cold winter was hard on things, too. By this time last year I was catching fish much further up river. It will be interesting to hear how the Boatyard Tournament goes this weekend.
                    LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                    Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Pedaling and paddling the Severn is always fun. Fish are a bonus. Today our bonus was just a wee bit small.

But I hope Yak Diesel had a good time nevertheless on his first trip to Jonas Green. It was nice to meet another Snaggedline member.

Looks like he was calling for some fish here:

A.jpg

Nice try but it didn't work.

The Navy was out and about.

B.jpg

Unfortunately, the stripers were not.

Sorry, I don't have any pickerel pixels. The toothy devil opted for self-release after I showed it to John. It hit a 1/8 oz. chartreuse Road Runner jig dressed with a yellow curly tail grub.
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I was getting ready to head in about an hour or so after you guys left when I got bit and had some line ran off but I think I was so shocked because I forgot what a fish on the line felt like I didn't set it hard enough and it got off. So that was enough for me to stay for a couple more hours to no avail, but had a great time anyway. Beautiful water down there and thanks again guys for letting me tag along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        -Dan Goddard, 2014 desert camo Jackson Big Rig

Comment

Dan,

I'm glad you felt a tug and again, it was nice to meet you.

The area is a wonderful fishery in season.

Please visit again.

Mark
                          Mark
                          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
                          X