Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MM and others, is the Navtronics Fish'n chip worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MM and others, is the Navtronics Fish'n chip worth it?

What does the chip give you for the Severn, South River and Chesapeake in general?

Thanks,

John
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

I have not been out to my local haunts yet, but from what I see, it tells/shows everything I want and need. Detailed contours, reefs, wrecks, etc...all of the stuff that the app contains.

As you probably already know, the Navionics Fish'N Chip is discontinued. Luckily, I scored one on eBay for $80. I was lucky to find one on the SD card. I think a lot of the bigger units take compact flash cards.
    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

No, I didn't know it was discontinued. Thanks for letting me know though.

John
      John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

The current ones are the Platinum and Gold editions. Those with experience with both say that the Fish 'n Chip provide greater contour detail. HOWEVER, the new ones are still good (light years better than the pre-loaded humminbird map, which shows next to nothing)
        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Navionics+ has the fish 'n chips built into the mapping. Just make sure you scroll thru your mapping menu once you install the chip and select the fish 'n chips option.

Sent from my PM23300 using Tapatalk
          2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

It's great ....... best contours ....... it has been incorporated into their high end chips that alot of systems can't use so if you can score 1 then do it. The only problem is that there are no updates.

Comment

That is the east coast chart correct?

John
              John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Once I get home this evening, I can take a picture of the case my chip came in. I think navionics site is not very friendly when it comes to explaining their products. I have a humminbird ff

2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK

JEREMY D

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
                  Once I get home this evening, I can take a picture of the case my chip came in. I think navionics site is not very friendly when it comes to explaining their products. I have a humminbird ff

Thanks, that would be helpful as their site is terrible.

John
                  John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Yes ...... it's East Coast. They only made 3 ..... East Coast, West/Gulf Coast and Great Lakes.

This has been discontinued since 2010 I think ....... it is now included in the Platnium chip. You will have to look online for a used 1. It is the best in my opinion ..... can't figure why they stopped selling it because the platnium can only be used in the high end DF.

Comment

John...Here is the package the chip came in. It's the Navionics+...fish n' chip maps are installed on the chip. I think Navionics are now just branding them as "Sonar Maps." The chip is good for the entire continental US, you just have to download what area you want installed on the chip from the website. I was able to get all of Maryland and a few bordering waters on my chip. If you decide to fish another state, you would have to update your chip via website and highlight the area you want mapped. Marine and Lakes are combined on the chip, no two separate chips...that also goes for North, South, East, and West...it's just one chip for all. I purchased the product from Bass Pro Shops in Arundel Mills, check the compatibility charts on the website before purchasing...I have a Humminbird 587 ci HD. It took me awhile to figure out what I needed...you would think Navionics, being a navigational company, would make their website more navigation friendly!

I do not use any of the bells and whistles, I just installed the chip...selected "fish n' chips" mapping and never touched the menu button again, I am pleased with the product.
                      Attached Files
                      2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                      2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK

JEREMY D

Comment

Sparky1423, does it have Tridelphia and Rocky Gorge in detail? The Navonics website doesn't show any more detail than the base map built into my Elite-4 HDI...which is pretty bad.
                        Hobie fleet:
                        2017 Quest 13
                        2015 Outback
                        2014 Outback

Comment

Not really sure Cowpokey, I have never been on either reservoirs. On the box it does state "Marine and Lake" but I would investigate more on the internet before pulling the trigger and buying one. It's tough finding any answers on the Navionics website. I mainly fish tidal rivers, upper/middle bay...I never tried scrolling the maps of a reservoir while on the water...I try not to hit too many buttons now that it's working great!

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                          Sparky1423, does it have Tridelphia and Rocky Gorge in detail? The Navonics website doesn't show any more detail than the base map built into my Elite-4 HDI...which is pretty bad.
                          2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                          2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK

JEREMY D

Comment

Is it worth it for the bay? I'm going get out there when the water warms up. I'm not ready for the bay yet.
                            Last edited by Cowpokey; 04-16-2014, 08:29 PM.
                            Hobie fleet:
                            2017 Quest 13
                            2015 Outback
                            2014 Outback

Comment

It's a great investment. Can you fish without it? Of course...but it's much easier to find channel edges and steep drop offs quickly without spending the whole day exploring the contour of the bottom. You can easily find an area that looks "fishy" just by viewing the map and zooming in and out. My humminbird factory maps are worthless, I ended up saving reward points from a business credit card and using a coupon from the CBKA Tournament....ended up paying $40 for the chip.

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                              Is it worth it for the bay? I'm going get out there when the water warms up. I'm not ready for the bay yet.
                              2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                              2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK

JEREMY D

Comment

Working...
                              X