what to wear - PFD or kevlar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to wear - PFD or kevlar?

Some weird news out of AA County - http://www.wbaltv.com/news/kayaker-s...adena/25457824

Kevlar PFD with plate pockets.

John
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

This is a pretty scary situation..
      There may be more to the story then what is being released, but for some one to use a silenced gun to shoot some one with a laser is a problem
      only reason i say it may be silenced is because you dont just fire a weapon around and have no one hear it or say a word about it

But its pretty sick we cant even go out and enjoy our selves without some idiots screwing it up..

esp since the guy hasnt been caught.. whos to say this is a fun game for him
      Zach Moore
      Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
      Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
      Bait Towel Pro Staff
      2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
      YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Suppressed weapons aren't a quiet as movies make them out to be. A heavily suppressed .22 might not be heard from several hundred yards away, particularly if you used something like Aguila Super Colibri rounds that don't have powder.

Very well could've been a pellet gun. Why else wouldn't he have been more motivated to get help sooner?

Comment

My friend lives in the neighborhood were its suspected to have happend and was up till 4 am and said he never heard a peep.

Could have been a pellet gun but some reports said he had a bullet removed from his abdomen.. but didn't say which size.
          Zach Moore
          Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
          Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
          Bait Towel Pro Staff
          2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
          YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

I originally assumed it was likely to have been a pellet or 22 but I think it's being reported today that weapon was likely 357 or similar caliber handgun! wtf??? An unanticipated single shot's origin, or even certainty that it happened can be confusing.

Comment

Mythbusters should do a reenactment.

Comment

Given the errors in reporting on this story to date, the caliber of the bullet may also change in time.

Just wondering...it would be adding insult to injury but if the kayaker had no lights could the DNR police cite him with a violation for being on the water at night with no illumination? I don't know that to be the case. I'm just assuming since he was stargazing and lights would hinder his view.

Of course if that was the case (no lights) I wonder how he was seen to be targeted?

The mystery continues.

Mythbusters should indeed be called to investigate.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                  Given the errors in reporting on this story to date, the caliber of the bullet may also change in time.

Just wondering...it would be adding insult to injury but if the kayaker had no lights could the DNR police cite him with a violation for being on the water at night with no illumination? I don't know that to be the case. I'm just assuming since he was stargazing and lights would hinder his view.

Of course if that was the case (no lights) I wonder how he was seen to be targeted?

The mystery continues.

Mythbusters should indeed be called to investigate.
                  The last I read about this guy was that he headed out for a leisurely paddle late Saturday afternoon. He said he mostly drifted and read a book. Then as it got dark he just sat out there some more and waited for the stars to appear.

From that description alone, I would say its a safe bet that there were no lights on the boat. And yeah, he probably should get a ticket for that.

But I still don't get why this dude couldn't stop at one of the other many docks out there and seek help. Either there is something he's not telling us or he's just not very smart. Possibly one of those that doesn't have the sense to come in out of the rain.
                  2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                  Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

i find it hard to believe being shot in the gut by a gun with a .357 caliber or smaller and last all night. there's a reason why you don't shoot deer in the gut. you will spoil the meat. all that bacteria in your intestines and stomach will kill you and make a painful death with in a few short hours. one story i read, said he heard and saw a flash shortly after a red dot appeared on his abdomen. another story stated just seen a red dot and felt severe pain in his abdomen. and this guy doesn't carry a cell phone when your paddling out in the middle of the night? nothing of this story makes sense. i dont think anyone has anything to worry about. i don't believe he was shot with a firearm. only a true retard will put a lazer on you at night before he/she pulls the trigger. its easy to see where the bullet is coming from with the added flash. the word "bullet" can mean anything when said on the news. since there was said a party/bon fire going on shore, could have been abunch of drunk adolescence thinking it would be funny to sink an old mans kayak in the middle of the night not thinking they could actually harm someone. and they probably did it with a high powered pellet rifle.

"Seafolk-Kopp was taken to Shock Trauma and released Sunday evening. Because of the low trajectory of the bullet, officials said it was easy for doctors to remove."
                    with that being said, guarantee it was some kind of pellet rifle and some young adults messing around
                    Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
                    -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
                    -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
                      The last I read about this guy was that he headed out for a leisurely paddle late Saturday afternoon. He said he mostly drifted and read a book. Then as it got dark he just sat out there some more and waited for the stars to appear.

From that description alone, I would say its a safe bet that there were no lights on the boat. And yeah, he probably should get a ticket for that.

But I still don't get why this dude couldn't stop at one of the other many docks out there and seek help. Either there is something he's not telling us or he's just not very smart. Possibly one of those that doesn't have the sense to come in out of the rain.
                      Yeah, I'm pretty sure we're not getting the whole story. One thought though, if he was out at night without any lighting or reflective material, it would be possible that someone on shore thought it was a log floating there (especially if they had been drinking). It certainly would not relieve them of responsibility, but it might be a little easier to believe.

At the end of the day, and per other's comments, if you are hit in the stomach and do not die, I would think your survival instinct would kick in and you'd find a way to get to shore (not to mention tide and wind). If you were so incapacitated that you couldn't even paddle with your hands, I would think you would not survive the night. Glad he did, just wondering if we will ever get the whole story. With the news media involved that is highly unlikely. I find it interesting that there are SO many differenct variations of the story yet only one witness/source. Kind of makes you wonder if the media just makes up "facts" all the time...
                      LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                      Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Like so many other news stories this one is full of false statements and speculation. Funny there once was a time when a newspaper or on-air media would actually check their sources and validate their information BEFORE releasing the information to the public.

Found this article from ABC Baltimore that says the laser report is false. And that they are thinking this poor guy was hit by a stray bullet.
                        Originally posted by Police Sgt. Brian Albert
                        We think this is an isolated incident that is possibly a stray bullet.
                        Originally posted by Police Sgt. Brian Albert
                        "Also there were some reports out that the victim saw a laser on his self. That was not the case,” said Albert, “He reported seeing a red kind of reflection off to the left of his kayak, and that would be indicative to an aim-point type device. It's a red dot we call in in the law enforcement world that you would see a reflection from that. So he did not have a laser on him."
                        They also report that he was hit between the ribs... not his abdomen as was originally reported.
                        Fortunately, the bullet struck the victim between the ribs missing his vital organs.
                        2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                        Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Hey, I was watching the news this afternoon and come to find out police found out the kayaker had shot himself. They said the powder from the shot matched that of a smith and Wesson gun the kayaker owned. Just to make an already strange story stranger. No need for Kevlar pfd's anymore.
                          Tan-Tarpon 140
                          Lime-Pelican Matrix
                          Yellow-Scrambler XT

Comment

Not only did he shoot himself then, he's shot himself twice since then.
                            http://www.restonnow.com/2014/06/09/...lice-approach/

Comment

Originally posted by LoudounFisher View Post
                              Not only did he shoot himself then, he's shot himself twice since then.
                              http://www.restonnow.com/2014/06/09/...lice-approach/
                              tumblr_lx2dbqMTuy1qf10nj.jpg

There's always a weirdo running around in the world.
                              Josh

2014 Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
                              X