Techniques for safely landing big fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Techniques for safely landing big fish

Last fall I forgot one of my cardinal rules of safety in kayaking with a big redfish on my line...never, ever lean and reach over the side even in a big, wide and stable Outback-so I just wanted to remind everyone fishing the spring trophy season for cow stripers....don't lean and reach for the striper- keep a rod length of line on the rod and use the rod to bring the fish up against the side of the kayak and if possible use a lip gripper to slide the fish in across the top of your legs, being extremely careful if you have a big Stretch 25 with treble hooks as I sometime do..I do not bring in a green fish- that is borrowing trouble- and I don't eat big stripers- much too strong tasting for my tastes, so I usually keep it in the water with the lip gripper until it regains its senses and can swim away under its own power before I release it- just remember to keep your head in the centerline of the kayak- where the head goes the body will follow and turtling will not ruin your fishing trip-
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Good post Ron. It is also imperative to maintain situational awareness when you are in an area where there is boat traffic. Sitting the wrong way when a wake comes along will drop you in the drink real fast.

John
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Thank you for the safety lesson. All tips are welcomed. What is a "green fish"?
      Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
      Cobra Explorer

Comment

Most importantly, like you said, let the big gals go!

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Pc4sun View Post
          Thank you for the safety lesson. All tips are welcomed. What is a "green fish"?
          A green fish is one that you reeled in fast and did not tire out in battle. They usually flop around and generally flip a s#^& in your kayak.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I suppose you first have to catch big fish to need to worry about this...guess I'm pretty safe!

Then again, those WP can get pretty frisky.
            LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
            Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Working...
            X