Popping Puppies at the Inlet - Apr 8, 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popping Puppies at the Inlet - Apr 8, 2014

On Apr 8, 2014, I finally did popping cork fishing for puppy drum (red fish).

Well, I decided to hit the inlet one more time for Puppy Drum before pursuing other species in other locations. I just wanted to test Popping Cork technique. I saw a few times boaters in the inlet were using the popping cork rigs. So I went Wal-Mart the night before, to buy the materials for the rig. Though stores such as Dicks and Wal-Mart in my town carry very limited saltwater fishing stuff. So I couldn’t find the popular popping corks (such as cupped cork) that I saw on the internet and in the inlet. So I bought the biggest foam bobbers, ½ oz egg sinkers, assorted beads (from the art/craft section).

It took me 4.5 hours instead of 3.5 hours in the morning because of a rolled over vehicle on 64. I lost valuable fishing time. I had only 4.5 hour fishing time before I had to leave for work by 1:30 PM.
    Because I didn’t make the popping cork rig, I cast lures for 3.5 hours. I had no bites. It seemed boaters using popping corks were not catching any. So at 12:30 PM, I anchored the kayak and made one popping cork rig.

I cast the rig, popped once and waited. Nothing happened. I was mimicking the inlet anglers. I cast again, popped once and waited. When the bobber drifted away, I cast, popped and waited. 30 minutes later, I began to think that this would be the one of the most boring fishing techniques. I doubted about the fresh shrimp as the bait.

Then I remembered, unlike the inlet anglers (I monitored previously and today), the guides on the internet videos, popped the cork at a certain interval. So I tried. Pop and rest. Pop and rest… Nothing happened. Then I remembered that the length of the leader must be adequate for the depth of the water. My 3’ leader was too long in 2-3’ of water, I thought. So I shorten the leader to 20".

That time, I had 30 minutes left for catching anything. I popped every 5-10 seconds, 5-6 times before the next cast. In the middle of the second cast, finally I felt a nice tug. I set the hook. I missed the fish. Dang! I was using a 4/0 circle hook.
    So I tried again with willingness. Immediately I felt a tug. This time, I let the fish do the work for me. I pointed the rod to fish, counted one, two , three…seven, then slowly cranked reel. I got the first puppy drum @22” on a popping cork rig with fresh shrimp.

I cast three more times after landing the first puppy drum. I landed two more puppy drum at 21” and 23”.

So I learned:
    • The reason the inlet anglers didn't pop at a certain interval was that they were bunched up together in very small spots I think too many pops by 5+ anglers will spook the fish, I think. Or they don't really care about catching fish.
    • Fishing (Pop and rest) with confidence as if all puppy drum are waiting for my baits.
    • Popping Cork technique is not a boring fishing method. Though it takes an effort. Casting a rig with long leader was pain while sitting on a kayak and using a short rod (mine was 6’ long). But it was OK after shortening the leader
    • Must adjust the leader length base on the depth of the water. I may prepare 3 different leaders with different lengths.
    • My rod (IM6 graphite, medium, line 4-12 LB, Fast action) was too flexible for popping the cork. It could be difficult if I used the cupped cork. Though I am not making any changes because my rig worked.
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 04-09-2014, 04:46 PM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Nice job and write-up! I have a popping cork rig in my tackle box, but I've only tried it once for Specks a while back. I had it rigged with a light jighead and gulp swimming mullet but had no success. I wonder how light jighead and gulp would work for reds?
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

The popping cork is used a lot all around the gulf coast. Specks and reds alike. Live bait, fresh dead, and assorted plastics are commonly used. It's a good method to entice a strike when there isn't a lot of action. The fish seem to hone in on the noise, and find the bait.

Comment

Ryan,
        I thought about using a jig head first. Then I used a thinner 4/0 circle hook because I wanted the lure sink slowly. Also I knew I had better success rate when using circle hooks over J hooks. It probably due to my slow reaction time.

I think I popped the cork too fiercely many times.

Joe
        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Way to stick with it and catch some fish. Nice write up too.

This is not exactly related but uses a popping cork nonetheless. When catching pups this summer on the flats behind AI, I had some success dragging a popping cork behind the yak while the current carried me down the flat. Cast a jig out in front and float a popping cork out the back. After every few casts of the jig I'd pop the cork. I fished it above a piece of peeler and popped it every so often. The circle hook did the rest.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
          Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
          2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

ComeOnFish,

Nice write-up and congratulations on your catches.

I'm curious if the redfish ever strike at the cork itself. Did they?
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Good Job Joe. Thanks for the educational write up.

Comment

Willingness is the key! Nice job and good write-up
                -Mustafa
                ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                2016 Hobie Outback
                2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Good write up. Looks like I'm heading down there this weekend for my first trip of the year. Will definitely remember to bring some of my popping corks with me.

I have caught a few specks before trolling popping corks with vudu and doa shrimps. Have not tried fresh shrimp on popping corks but will go look for some at hmart before I go.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
                    Good write up. Looks like I'm heading down there this weekend for my first trip of the year. Will definitely remember to bring some of my popping corks with me.

I have caught a few specks before trolling popping corks with vudu and doa shrimps. Have not tried fresh shrimp on popping corks but will go look for some at hmart before I go.
                    Good Luck! Don't forget the anchor
                    joe

Comment

Thanks. Definitely need to remember the anchor and my homemade stake out pole. Kayak is all loaded up on my new truck, but my gear is still all spread out right now so I'm sure I will forget something important like my anchor.

Comment

Working...
                      X