Kayak Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mytmouse View Post
    I like it! Please post a report when you get it all together!

MYT
    MYT: There are photos on the web site: http://www.islandhopperoutboards.com...ayakmount.html
    They are a piece of cake to assemble and put on the kayak. I used a 30lb thrust MinnKota Endura, with a 30" shaft. Larger motors with a 36" shaft would work. You can steer with the motor, or lock the motor in the straight position and steer with a rudder. That is what I did. It works great for trolling. You can also have multiple batteries if needed. One battery with a 30lb thrust motor goes for about 5 hours. For about $300-$400, you can motorize your kayak. When not needed, remove a few screws and your kayak is back to original shape. It worked every bit as well as the BassYak.

The only reason that I went with a 55lb thrust on the BassYak, was recovery as hitting sets of waves. That slows the kayak down and the 55lb thrust motor seems to recover a little faster. When I had the 30lb motor, it did just fine. I was just looking to make an improvement. A 55 lb thrust motor hanging off the side a regular kayak would be heavier.
    Last edited by DOGFISH; 03-19-2011, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Thanks Dogfish... might have to take a look, well no time soon... I got a lot more formula to buy first! LOL

MYT

Comment

Well, the folks at IslandHopper got back to me and said that a 55lb thrust motor is too large for the hobie drive well. So back to the drawing board. The OK Big Game, with the BassYak still works out the best for me. I like the Hobie layout, but don't need the peddles. I don't think a 30lb thrust is powerful enough for the bay, on a wide kayak. It may be ok for a flat lake or river, but with waves, the motor needs to be powerful enough to keep pace. I also don't like the Torqueedo, as it is also only 30lbs thrust. I like batteries that one can buy locally and which are not proprietary. Besides, it is nice to steer with the rudder peddles, while fighting a fish.

Comment

I didn't think of it, but looks like BassYak has done some work on Hobie kayak electric motors also.

Attached Files

Comment

Well ........ not a good week .......... ordered the yak engine from Sportsman's Guide 3/17 for a ship data of 3/28 ........ checked on it last week and the ship date was changed to 4/5 but the ship date on a new order was 4/12 but then was changed to 4/28 ............ sure hope Sportsman's guide is not just posting great deals to get people to spend their money on memberships when they have no intention of shipping ........ sure hope I'm eating my words tomorrow .......

Also apparently the Hobie Rep is saying that the side engine mounts and the seat slide I wanted to install may void my warranty and Hobie won't confirm of deny it ..........

Sure hope the week gets better ......... oh and there's a better than even chance of a furlough ........ good for fishing if the weather cooperates but bad for the pocket book if they don't pay us this time ........

Comment

IDK MM, sometimes the the best deal isnt the best deal, looks like they dont have it in stock and have to wait for some more to come in.

my wife just learned that they will have to take 12 furlough days this year, i guess its better than no job

Comment

If something goes wrong just take the side mount out. How will they know you were using it. Besides, its about fishing, not a warranty. Your only moving a kayak. Should not be that great an amoung of stress. Although, island hopper said a 55lb thrust motor was too much for the Hobie drive well. I like the 55lb thrust that bolts to the back of the pro angler from bass yak. I could just tighten down on the locking bolt and steer with the rudder. For now, I'm holding pat with the Big Game. The BassYak has been a good rig on that kayak.

Memory, I used a side mount for near two years without any problem on my Big Game.

Comment

Working...
                X