No announcement yet.

Battery,motor powered kayaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course, not being one to cause trouble, but dosen't Hobie describe the Pro Angler as a boat and not as a kayak.

Also, will pedal boats have a separate division. Just a thought, just a thought.

It is somewhat simple. Limit the powered kayak to electric power of no more than a certain limit such as, example of 55lb thrust. The motor must be attached to a boat designed as a kayak by the maker. Or something like that. Of course that will let out my Ocean Kayak Big Game Prowler, powered by a Chevy 327. This is starting to sound like the NHRA with all the classes and divisions. Could be fun just to watch the custom kayaks. Just think if someone shows up with a sail.

Comment

By the way, does that guy in the logo have a fish on, or does he just have to pee real bad?

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
        By the way, does that guy in the logo have a fish on, or does he just have to pee real bad?
        Naaaa ........... that's just the new kayak Jet drive .......... uses beer as fuel .......... promoted by Salty Dog Lager ....... new tournament division ........

Comment

powered kayaks

Perhaps I should not chime in, I am new here although not new to Kayak Fishing. I feel strongly that the purity of our sport is defined by being under human power, if not why not let anyone with a small Canoe, skiff or pram under say 13 feet compete, again, maybe I am out of line. The real poetry of our sport is in its simplicity, any thoughts?
          Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140

Comment

Originally posted by pungomd View Post
            Perhaps I should not chime in, I am new here although not new to Kayak Fishing. I feel strongly that the purity of our sport is defined by being under human power, if not why not let anyone with a small Canoe, skiff or pram under say 13 feet compete, again, maybe I am out of line. The real poetry of our sport is in its simplicity, any thoughts?
            No you're not out of line ........ it's a free country and an open site ........ but understand ....... when you invest you will get dividends ....

Here's my thoughts .........

What's "pure" for you is not what's "pure" for me ........ you want the Zen feeling then that's fine but don't condemn me because I want comfort and to cover more water and catch more fish ........

The 1 thing that has been great about this site is everyone does their own thing and gets along .......... and doesn't seem to judge unless they are joking .......... it's like the old surfer dude culture ......

You feel strongly about the "purity of our sport" ........ well let's see ........ all of their yaks are plastic instead of fabric over frame, probably 1/3 of the guys pedal instead of paddle, almost all have depthfinders and rod holders and some have lights and cameras and powered baitwells .........where is the purity line drawn .......... none of that is pure ......

This is more "pure fishing" with yaks to get you there ........ don't get me wrong ...... you are welcomed with open arms and pats on the back and beers all around ...... but when you start with your strong beliefs in the purity of the sport ........ well to me it seems you are trashing the way I want to do things ....... condecending and judgemental ......

I'm 60 yrs old, fat and out of shape. I smoke and drink and still chase women (well woman lately) ......... and I don't care to change ........ my PA with an engine is as pure as I want to get thank you .........

As far as letting anyone with a small Canoe, skiff or pram under say 13 feet compete ............ no ...... they aren't kayaks ........... and this is specifically a KAYAK fishing tournament .........

Shoot, my PA might not even qualify because some classify it as a small boat ........

For me the poetry is being able to back up to the bank and put the yak in anywhere, fish the areas the big boats fish but with lighter tackle, and to quietly fish areas they can't go ..... to be able to fight the fish instead of reeling in a 1/2 drown fish that feels like a bucket of water ......... I like being limited to the amount of gear and tackle because otherwise I'd take the kitchen sink ......... to turn on the engine and briskly go across the water without the roar of the engines and the pounding of your body from the waves and the smell of the gas ............ to catch better fish in beautiful areas without spending $200 in gas and a bunch more in insurance and storage and upkeep .............. and to be able to put my hands behind my head and stretchout and enjoy the sound of the waves lapping against hull and watching the radiant sunset ahead while enjoying the memories of the fish I just caught while my engine powers me to shore .............

What is not poetry to me is sweating my a$$ off and breathing heavy in the 90 degree heat paddling against the tide to get back to the launch ........ the only thing I'd hear would be the sound of my panting and the pounding in my ears and the only thing I'd be seeing is hopefully the launch getting closer to give me hope that I wouildn't die of a heart attack before I got there ........

The purity to me is in the enjoyment of the sport and equipment the way I want to do it ........ not in how much I can suffer and sweat for simplicity ......

I haven't judged the way you want to yak so don't judge mine .......... Now let's geat a beer and talk fishin ........

Comment

I think those are all fare points

and I would have to say, you made them well.
              Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140

Comment

Ditto.

Comment

An electric division has been officially added to tournament.
                  Last edited by eastonkayaker; 05-17-2011, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Fair points MM. At the Jamaica Bay tournament they added an electric division this year for the first time since the tournament began 8 years ago.

The largest fish of the tournament came from a peddler, 42". The largest fish checked by an electric guy was 30". Not that it matters though, since electrics will compete against each other.

I have no problems with what type of craft you choose or why you choose it, it's all about time out on the water and enjoying the great resource we have that is the Chesapeake Bay. With regard to the "tournament" - let's remember that the event benefits charity and is more about that camaraderie and fellowship than about competition and prizes.
                    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                      Fair points MM. At the Jamaica Bay tournament they added an electric division this year for the first time since the tournament began 8 years ago.

The largest fish of the tournament came from a peddler, 42". The largest fish checked by an electric guy was 30". Not that it matters though, since electrics will compete against each other.

I have no problems with what type of craft you choose or why you choose it, it's all about time out on the water and enjoying the great resource we have that is the Chesapeake Bay. With regard to the "tournament" - let's remember that the event benefits charity and is more about that camaraderie and fellowship than about competition and prizes.
                      AMEN to that Mike ...........

Carabunga Dudes ......... whether you're a puritan or an vile motorist like me .......... Yak On!!!!!!

We need more smiles ........... REALLY miss the thumbs up one ......

Comment

Working...
                      X