Cast net from a kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cast net from a kayak

Anyone use a cast net from their kayak? Walmart has them on ridiculous clearance, $3.50-$10. Most were mono nets but they had a few nylon left.

If so, what size would be appropriate to throw from a SOT? 4'?
    Mike

5 foot is my smallest net...I got an old Frank "the net" Whelton 21 ft hand tied mullet net that I used to throw off the piers in Carolina but that is too much for me now-a-days...takes too much strength for me to throw it as it is a fast sinking net with lots of lead...it is a young man's net and is illegal to use in most places as it is too big per DNR regs....check your DNR regulations on where you can use cast nets and what size they can be...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I've thrown a 6 foot cast net from my outback. I found it easy to do than expected. Drag your kayak into the yard and practice throwing from it. If you can already throw a cast net easily, you won't have any problems.

Comment

Check Rob Choi's blog, angling addict for a video on how to throw a net from your yak. Pretty interesting. Me, I usually park the boat and cast from shore. Probably the best way to learn if you've never done it. A great way to catch spot for live lining. Just watch out for oyster beds submerged pilings or rip-rap.
        John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
        Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
        2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by mweber02 View Post
          Anyone use a cast net from their kayak? Walmart has them on ridiculous clearance, $3.50-$10. Most were mono nets but they had a few nylon left.

If so, what size would be appropriate to throw from a SOT? 4'?
          Is this just your local Walmart? Mind sharing which one?
          Daniel Kwon
          2019 Hobie Outback Slate Blue
          2002 Triumph 190 Bay Suzuki DF115

Comment

Abingdon Walmart had them setting on the shelves in front of the sporting goods counter.
            Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mweber02 View Post
              Abingdon Walmart had them setting on the shelves in front of the sporting goods counter.
              I'm going to check the Walmart in Nottingham before heading up to Abingdon. Thanks
              Daniel Kwon
              2019 Hobie Outback Slate Blue
              2002 Triumph 190 Bay Suzuki DF115

Comment

Working...
              X