Penn Spinfisher Live Liner Reels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penn Spinfisher Live Liner Reels

Does anyone have any experience with the Penn live liner reels? I have used Penn for a long time and have been very satisfied over the years. This year I would love to add a couple live liner reels to the collection for use in the bay. Hoping to get some feedback before I drop the money. Would like to know specifically if the 4500 would be sufficient or should I step up to the 6500. Any advice would be appreciated.

Take this for what its worth- I rarely use spinning tackle for anything, so maybe my thoughts are completely off base, but when I do use spinning tackle I like to go UL...my heavy spinning setup is a 2500 loaded with 10# Berkley nano line...my UL is a 1000 loaded with 4# Berkley nano line...and I have caught some really nice fish on both-

On a side note I use the UL (in salt water) mostly for fishing for white perch- You fish under boat docks with a tiny beetle spin (I usually change out the body with a Gulp 2 inch minnow body) and when you get a big white perch it gives a good fight on 4# line and a 7' Fish Eagle UL rod- however the Gulp minnow get hits from everything that swims so it isn't unusual to get a redfish or speck on when you are targeting white perch.
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 04-05-2014, 07:12 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I have not used the Spinfisher LL. Take a look at weight specs. I am a fan of Penn and own a pair of slammer 360's, but I went with Shimano's 4000 size LL'g reels, one spooled with 15# PP braid and one with 30#.

Either setup is plenty big/strong for rockfish, the Shimano mechanical actions have a good 'feel', and teamed up with a St Croix MH-fast, the kit is just a little heavier than the comparable Penn 360 setup, but is still light enough to use for casting and jigging for hours. I've used this setup for a couple years now with no problem or noticeable wear and no maintenance (that's how I roll).

The LL function is sweet!

ps - I do not catch BIG rock, reds, and specs by accident. I use appropriate gear and techniques to efficiently target and land them.

Comment

I catch a bunch by "accident"...at least it seems that way to me- others seem to think I target Redfish and big gator specks as I usually limit out, but I am just fishing for whatever bites my lines- just lucky I guess...
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Thanks for the info guys.

Comment

Working...
          X