Hobie Alter R.I.P.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobie Alter R.I.P.

I rode his skateboards & I long to pedal in one of his kayaks.
    Rest in Peace!

"He wanted to make a living without having to wear hard-soled shoes or work east of California's Pacific Coast Highway," the statement said. "By 'making people a toy and giving them a game to play with it' he was able to realize this dream. And in the process, he introduced the world to an outdoor lifestyle and collection of products that made things just a bit more fun for all of us."
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...-dies/7101009/

Comment

I read the article on Yahoo news and it's funny as it mentioned many Hobie innovations - foam surfboard, skateboard, paddle board, catamaran - but NOT his kayaks. I don't know about those on the west coast but the kayak is what I know him best for.
      HOBIE: 2012 PA-14 (Dune) & 2013 PA-14 (Yellow)

Comment

Rest in peace; your spirit lives.

Comment

it's my feeling that at the core of his influence on the world is the hobie 16 sailing catamaran. 1st boat i owned! reasonably affordable and very stable in light winds - excellent for anyone learning to sail. but with just a little wind, the performance blew away most any monhull sailboat. even though beachcat design advanced - the hobie owners enjoyed a very popular one-design racing class that has kept the h16 relevant; probly for the duration.

he offered an excellent and durable product that allowed practical entry into a watersports lifestyle. i'm certain that before his name went on the hobie kayak, he was looking ahead at providing a top-rate platform, accessible to most anyone and once again; opening the way to a lifestyle he understood and enjoyed.

Hobie - thanks for sharing

Comment

Working...
          X