Belle Grove Ponds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belle Grove Ponds

This Monday I am heading out to Belle Grove Ponds from the Southwest Launch...I have never fished in this area before. Can you guys give me any insights on locations, species, and lure/bait that works well in there. Appreciate the advice.
    Mike

"But by the grace of God I am what I am..." - I Cor. 15:10
    Native Watercraft Slayer Propel - Cooperhead

Theres a mix variety of fish to be caught there. Id bring a little bit of everything and fish anything that looks fishy. Perch run there. Crappie, bass, pickerel, rockfish, carp, catfish.. I have noticed theres more cover than there is bass. So if your targeting large mouth its not uncommon to run a stretch of shoreline with 1-2bass to show for it.
    Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
    -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
    -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

It looks so fishy. It seems so tempting, and more often than not, its not that great. I don't want to dash your hopes, but its very hit or miss. With lots and lots of missing. I've fished it a bunch over the years and its, eh. If your heart is set on it, go for it though. This time of year, I would plan on trying to catch pickerel and/or crappie. Crappie fishing is best near the VFA. Its a bit of a paddle/peddle from the Southwest launch area but its doable. I would bring a slip float and some minnows.

Its tidal influenced so look at the the tides. I think Ft. Mchenry tide charts are what you are looking for.

Its from a different board, but here: http://www.pierandsurf.com/fishing-f...p/t-23360.html
      Jason

Comment

My experience has been similar to Longislandtomd. I've caught a few nice fish scattered through the ponds and some areas north of the 895 bridge in the river but more times than not I have been skunked. If you are launching at southwest I would start under the 895 bridge and then head left into the 1st 2 ponds. If the crappies and or perch are around there will likely be people all over the shore line by the vfw. Good luck

Comment

Add me to the list of those who don't think much of Belle Grove Ponds. I've fished those ponds from shore and from my canoe several times each. I've never had a satisfactory fishing trip there. It's only drawing card is that those ponds have a wide range of freshwater and saltwater species. From time to time there will be a sudden influx of nice fish from the Bay, like stripers and wperch... and then the fishing can be hot, but only briefly so. All the rest of the year action there is barely mediocre.
          Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

I've had days where I've been skunked but more times then not my dad n I have had a solid day. We call it the poor mans Potomac. He's caught 13 bass in there one day n I got 6 the same day. His biggest was a 4lb smallmouth n 3.5 bedding bass. It's a tide related n you have to make sure the waters not muddy but we fish it prolly twice a week and keep going back
            Zach Moore
            Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
            Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
            Bait Towel Pro Staff
            2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
            YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

What time on monday are you heading out? With this rain your best bet may be current breaks off the main river. Im sure it will be muddy. I may head out with you if its in the morning.
              Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
              -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole

Comment

Scratch that its flooded lol
                Jason

Comment

High winds tomorrow...gonna postpone my outing.
                  Mike

"But by the grace of God I am what I am..." - I Cor. 15:10
                  Native Watercraft Slayer Propel - Cooperhead

Comment

Tuesday is supposed to have low winds. I may launch from vfw side. Tuesday morn. Or ill head to cenntenial
                    Jason

Comment

If you launch from the vfw side, bring some rope to help you with getting the kayak in the water and back up the bank. I havent been over in a while but dont be shocked if you see a disturbing amount of trash. Its one of the less pleasant launch sites, which is a shame really.
                      Jason

Comment

Ha yeah ive launched there a few times, i usually walk down the path and launch on the bank that faces out toward the bridge. Its alil more of a walk but you just slide the yak in the water. No hard steep banks.
                        Jason

Comment

The place to go in the bell grove ponds is the land locked pond off of hollins
                          ferry road, west on hollins ferry past 695 ramp turn left at first stop sign go all the way to the end yellow gate.go down dirt road fish the pond on the left.Great bass fishing On far side of the pond

Comment

Metalman, Im having a hard time following. Can you post a google map image?
                            Jason

Comment

image.jpgruns next to 895 the pond is about 50 yards wide and 300 yards long it cant be fished from shore line very easily but a kayak is killer. The pond is pretty deep in the middle, the bank is undercut on the east side use purple worms i think electric grape , some record bass in that pond. Fish the edges up under the undercuts. There is a sand bar in the middle there is always couple bass there also.Fish the east pond go between the 2 ponds there is a dirt road that gos down to them its about a 100 yard carry from the main road where you park. There is a little stream between the 2 ponds i usually launch there. Bass are the main thing i catch there, some sunfish and crappie
                              Last edited by Metalman; 03-31-2014, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X