Fishing Life Vest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing Life Vest

I have a couple of older vests that need updating. Anyone have a good pick for a life vest that works best for kayak fishing?
    2000 Old Town Loon 138T
    2013 Field and Stream Eagle Talon

There's 1 for sale on the board

Comment

NRS Chinook is a great vest. Plenty of pockets and a high back. I dont even notice that I am wearing it.

Comment

I second the NRS Chinook, plus if you order directly from NRS there is no shipping charge.

http://www.nrs.com/product/21501/nrs...ck-fishing-pfd
        BRETT
        Red/Yellow COBRA Navigator

Comment

3rd for the NRS Chinook
          the rear flotation is up by your shoulders and not on you lower back.
          Clears the kayak seat back.

Comment

I have a Stohlquist; Kokatat is another brand to consider.

Anyway you go, you get what you pay for. A good PFD is worth it...they are more comfortable, so you're more likely to wear it.
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

4th for the chinook, it's the only vest I have owned...but very pleased with the comfort and storage possibilities.
              2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
              2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
              2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Check out Astral vests. Their newest vest (Ronny Fisher) is awesome Its got some of the best most thought out storage.

http://www.astraldesigns.com/products/RonnyFisher.php

Comment

A similar post came up a month or two ago. I will offer the same advice I did then. If at all possible, try the vest on first before buying/ordering it. Vests that fit one person well may not work well for another person. I mail-ordered a new fishing pfd a few months ago based on its marketing information and hype (it is one of the models mentioned by the previous posters). The minute I put it on I knew it was a mistake - the shape of the pfd would have interfered with my paddling and casting. I returned the pfd and had to pay the postage both ways.

For me comfort in a kayak seat, a pfd, and other accessories is very important to my enjoyment of kayak fishing. If I am not comfortable, I will use the kayak less often and for shorter periods of time. Particularly for a pfd, find one that is so comfortable to wear that you don't even think about having it on -- it is an important safety feature.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

5th the Chinook. I tried it on at Eastern Mountain Sports in Annapolis. For me it works.
                    Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
                    Cobra Explorer

Comment

I've had an Extrasport Striper in orange for the past 6 years. It's starting to get a little beat up. I liked it so much that I found another one on eBay for $30 in the Sand (tan) color. Very comfortable PFD.

Comment

Wow so many Chinook fans! Lol I have the Extrasport Osprey. Nice pockets and also a plastic O ring and a couple of Velcro strap to hang accessories from.

Comment

Thanks for the great thread. I just ordered NRS Chinook L/XL Bark 10 minutes ago from the NRS website. They are backordered until the first week of April I hope.
                          Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
                          2013 Cuda 12

Comment

I just got the Chinook for Christmas. I have not had the chance to use it yet, anything will be better than using my grandfathers old big yellow one lol.

Comment

My PFD usually winds up laying behind my seat due to comfort issues. Mainly to hot in the summer.
                              Been thinking about getting a waist pack this year but not sure how comfortable they would be over my spare tire.

I have the Stolquist high back fisherman and do like the features of the vest. especially the pockets that that flip down and act like a tray to hold things while rigging.

If interested they are on sale at ACK right now.
                              Last edited by CAGE RATTLER; 04-08-2014, 04:50 AM.
                              2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                              2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Working...
                              X