Looking for the Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for the Leak

I bought my outback from a local rental place. I've noticed after a few hours on the water I get water inside. Not enough to really concern me, but if it gets worse as time goes on... Thanks to tons of info here,,I'm set up to try and find the leak this weekend. Loosely taped some cardboard over the front hatch and opened the rear drain plug. I will flip it over this weekend and with the help of some soapy water I will find a hopefully repair able crack\leak. I thought at first it was waves coming over the bow and in through the hatch seal. After this past weekend outing on wheately lake I know that isn't it. I had about a gallon inside after 3 hours. It isn't pretty, but it works.

IMG_20140327_194949097.jpg
    IMG_20140327_195032689.jpg
    Hobie Outback
    Stand Up Paddle Board
    Pelican 100

looks good but make sure there is not too much pressure or the soap film may burst before bubble is visible. I'd set a hair drier about 6-8 inches away from the end of the hose and run it on low. if you find no leak try moving the drier closer and farther away from the end of the hose or cut a big hole in that cardboard.
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Fill it up (inside the hull) to the water line and see if you can find a wet spot..i.e. leak from the inside to the outside. Might not be the best (or approved) way, but that's what I'd do.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Where's the drain plug? Is it above the waterline when you're on the water? What other "things" (holes) could be letting water get inside the hull when you're on the water? I don't have a Hobie yet, sometime soon though.

My whitewater boat (Dagger Outlaw) gets some water in the hull, but I "think" that's from rolling, and water getting through the skirt.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

I also would use a shop vac to fill it with air and use soapy water to find the leak. that is what some dealers do
          Here is a video of a dent repair on a Hobie with air and hot water you can use the same "air" technique to find the leak
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpuIJzMotDg
          You can fill it with water but water is heavy 8 lbs for every gallon it could take quite a bit of water to fill up to where the crack is located. if you use water make sure what ever is supporting the kayak with can hold the weight.

Comment

Originally posted by plastic boat View Post
            I also would use a shop vac to fill it with air and use soapy water to find the leak. that is what some dealers do
            Here is a video of a dent repair on a Hobie with air and hot water you can use the same "air" technique to find the leak
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpuIJzMotDg
            You can fill it with water but water is heavy 8 lbs for every gallon it could take quite a bit of water to fill up to where the crack is located. if you use water make sure what ever is supporting the kayak with can hold the weight.
            Forced air via shopvac or some such similar thing would be better with soapy water to look for bubbles...if you don't have a "forced air" option, the next best (easiest) option is filling it with water.

Plastic hulls are tougher then most people give them credit for, it's not going to explode from the weight of filling it with water.
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

I successfully diagnosed a leak several years ago by setting the kayak up on two sturdy supports, then filling it halfway with water. The leak was surprisingly small (a hairline crack along a scupper) but it allowed several gallons per trip to accumulate in the hull. I smeared Goop around the hairline crack and solved the problem.

007.jpg 024.jpg 029.jpg
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks guys. I plan on using a shop vac to blow air into it. I can open/close the drain plug and 2 other hatches to increase or reduce the pressure. If this doesn't work then I will try adding water inside.
                Last edited by clm; 03-28-2014, 04:17 AM.
                Hobie Outback
                Stand Up Paddle Board
                Pelican 100

Comment

The drain plug is higher than I thought. It is above the water line and the oring appears to be in good shape

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                  Where's the drain plug? Is it above the waterline when you're on the water? What other "things" (holes) could be letting water get inside the hull when you're on the water? I don't have a Hobie yet, sometime soon though.

My whitewater boat (Dagger Outlaw) gets some water in the hull, but I "think" that's from rolling, and water getting through the skirt.
                  Hobie Outback
                  Stand Up Paddle Board
                  Pelican 100

Comment

Thank you for the pics. I'm hoping that all I have is a small issue like that, and it is easily patched over. Once I find out where the issue is, then I will decide on how to address it. Goop, hot iron, epoxy etc....

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                    I successfully diagnosed a leak several years ago by setting the kayak up on two sturdy supports, then filling it halfway with water. The leak was surprisingly small (a hairline crack along a scupper) but it allowed several gallons per trip to accumulate in the hull. I smeared Goop around the hairline crack and solved the problem.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11280[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]11281[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]11282[/ATTACH]
                    Hobie Outback
                    Stand Up Paddle Board
                    Pelican 100

Comment

What year is the kayak? If it's an earlier hobie, maybe 2008 or sooner, it may be a drive well crack. I had one of those. Backyard Boats helped me get a new hull for $400 because it was a failure.
                      I filled mine with water to find the leak. If there's not a good amount of pressure on the affected area, you may not see a leak.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Kokatat Pro Staff
                      Torqeedo Pro Staff
                      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                      Alan

Comment

Is the year of manufacture in the serial number? I believe mine starts with 09.
                        Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                        What year is the kayak? If it's an earlier hobie, maybe 2008 or sooner, it may be a drive well crack. I had one of those. Backyard Boats helped me get a new hull for $400 because it was a failure.
                        I filled mine with water to find the leak. If there's not a good amount of pressure on the affected area, you may not see a leak.
                        Hobie Outback
                        Stand Up Paddle Board
                        Pelican 100

Comment

Originally posted by clm View Post
                          Is the year of manufacture in the serial number? I believe mine starts with 09.
                          I believe it's the last two digits. Mine is a 2011 and the serial number ends in 11

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                          Kokatat Pro Staff
                          Torqeedo Pro Staff
                          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                          Alan

Comment

Thanks. I will check when I get home.
                            Hobie Outback
                            Stand Up Paddle Board
                            Pelican 100

Comment

Serial number ends in 09. I did the soapy water test. No leaks found that way. I checked the drain plug. When it wasn't tight, it bubbled. Could have been the culprit and I never fully got it empty from going out in rough waters last time. The chop was breaking over the bow and I know front hatch gasket is bad and there was a hole in it. I completely dried the inside with paper towels. I will snug the drain plug and check again on my next outing. I checked the area where the drive drops in from both sides. Nothing. Same for the scupper holes. I'm hoping it was just inattentiveness and inexperience. I will keep checking on it to be sure. Not real keen on unplanned swimming trips.
                              Hobie Outback
                              Stand Up Paddle Board
                              Pelican 100

Comment

Working...
                              X