Pro angler 12 vs 14 speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro angler 12 vs 14 speed

Looking to get a pro angler for fishing the bay bridge. Is the 14 slower than the 12? And how do they compare to a paddle kayak speed wise are they generally faster or slower because they are so big? Thanks your info will be the deciding factor on what boat I get

Cburke, I cant speak in to much detail as I have only had a chance to go out in my pro anler 12 once since I have got it. I will say that it felt a good deal faster then my paddle kayak. Only being out once I can tell that I already have fallen in love with the thing. The space is unbeatable, the seat is awesome, and the quality and setup cannot be beaten. As others have said, If you ever need to paddle it it will probably suck but that is a minor issue that I hope I will not encounter to often.

Comment

Thanks for info

Comment

PA12 definitely faster that PA14, but I've found the PA12 to be more of a pain than my older PA14. The PA 12 doesn't handle the wind as well and doesn't track as straight. while the new larger rudder may help with that, I do not have one so I don't know. If transport if not an issue, I would suggest going for the PA14, buts that's just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by CB kayak 02 View Post
          PA12 definitely faster that PA14, but I've found the PA12 to be more of a pain than my older PA14. The PA 12 doesn't handle the wind as well and doesn't track as straight. while the new larger rudder may help with that, I do not have one so I don't know. If transport if not an issue, I would suggest going for the PA14, buts that's just my opinion.

+ 1

Comment

I to am trying to decide between a PA 12 and 14 also
            according to Hobie the 14 is slightly more efficient/faster than the 12 [has to do with the length at the water line ]
            The 12 has smaller turning radius .
            I compared both at the Dealership yesterday. There is only about 18" in length difference .
            This dealer had PA 14 in 2012's 2013's and 2014's in stock and the PA 12 in 2013 and 2014
            the only thing the 2014 has over the 2013 was a steering tension adjustment knob and some slight changes to the mirage drive base plate

For only $100.00 more I think I am going to go with the 2014 PA 14
            here is a video I found about the changes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yMgvOWJo28

Comment

Putting in 2 more cents here, you wont be disappointed either way. They are both fishing machines. I got the 12 so I can throw it in my tundra and go(no bed extender or trailer which would cost even more). You just have to figure out whats more important. For me it was transport and the lighter weight of the 12. I am willing to sacrifice a little speed for that. I had the 12 out on a very windy day and it tracked fine and that may be due to the larger rudder. Good luck with your decision and as I stated before you will love either one.

Comment

I have a p12 and just to let you know the thing is heavy...I thought at the time of purchase a simple roof rack would work just fine (and it does) but truth be told getting that thing up there and down is something that's always stuck on the back of my mind. There is even an extension rod to the rack that you can purchase ($80) that makes it a little easier but it's still a headache. These things are like the heavy weight of the kayak world hands down. So with this being said if you where even thinking of buying a 4-500 dollar roof rack go the extra mile and price a trailer!

Comment

i have the 2012 pa14 and now a 2014 pa12.. and they are both great. i think speed may be the same.. bc what u loose in length u gain in slight weight.
                  its still heavy but for me i went with the 12 bc i truck bed the boat.. as well i dont bring alot of gear.. i bring what i need.. and i still have more room then i need.

i still stand the same, fish the same. its just easier on me in general with a 12.. i feel its alot easier to use in smaller waters to.. but if u fish just salt only.. 14 is the way to go with the extra stability.

but the 12 will work just fine
                  Zach Moore
                  Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
                  Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
                  Bait Towel Pro Staff
                  2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                  YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Anyone fish the pa 12 in the bay I want to use it by the bay bridge

Comment

PA 12 will do just fine in the bay

Comment

Originally posted by Cburke View Post
                        Anyone fish the pa 12 in the bay I want to use it by the bay bridge
                        I fish the bay quite a bit and have fished the baybridge several times. You will have no problems at the bridge.I will suggest that as a start (especially if you are going out by yourself) that you pick your days carefully. Try to go with winds less that 10MPH, and plan to stay through a full tide change so you can get a feel of how fast the tide rolls through there and able to study the topography above and below the water line. You will gain confidence with your boat more enjoyably. There are other factors to consider but I'm sure others will give you there experiences with their PA's.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X