2014 Jamaica Bay Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Jamaica Bay Tournament

Registration is now open for the Jamaica Bay Kayak Fishing Tournament. The dates are May 15th - 18th 2014. Registration is $100. Again this year the tournament is a qualifier for the 2014 Hobie Fishing Worlds Championship to be held in Amsterdam. This is a great event and the fishing was phenomenal last year.
    Hobie Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    2014 Hobie Pro Angler
    2012 Hobie Outback

This will be my 5th year going and I have to say I look forward to fishing at jbay all year! It's like Christmas but the colors are pink and white instead.

If you all have the time I encourage you to come up and camp for a few days and binge fish with us. We had a good showing of VA/MD guys over the past few years and it is always a great time.

If anyone needs advice on what to bring just ask, there are tons of options but definitely a few must brings!
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I am coming up this year, for my first time. I can't wait. It's going to be a blast.

Comment

Sadface
        Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Last year was my first time, by myself, this year looks like I have a bit of a crew coming along. I had a great time there , really neat camping on teh tarmac, with lights of New York as your back drop. Some posts and sites make it sound really big, The Chesapeake is big, you can go all over in a day at J-Bay......jack

Comment

I guess you guys don't shower the whole time there eh?

Comment

I find that after using a porta-pottie for three days, you sort of start smelling like the blue stuff in there....amazing! After doing four jamborees last year, I bought an old mint condition camper, a shower is a possiblity

Comment

Originally posted by Bulldog View Post
                I find that after using a porta-pottie for three days, you sort of start smelling like the blue stuff in there....amazing! After doing four jamborees last year, I bought an old mint condition camper, a shower is a possiblity
                I'm in old man!

Comment

This is the one tournament i look forward to every year. I'll probably get there a day early to reserve are usual campsite.
                  Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Signed up! I'll be there at least one day early, maybe 2!

Comment

I will be there Wednesday afternoon and we have already reserved our camping spot via the camping website! Should be plenty of room for our group.

Comment

Im really tempted to do this this year since it will probably be my last chance...
                        Ryan
                        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

In.
                          <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I only get to fish this place once or twice a year so don't take this as required but here are some general recommendations for targeting striped bass, bluefish, weakfish, and flounder (fluke to the northern tribe).

Fishing items for JBay:

General rods to bring:
                            Rod 1 - MH-H capable of trolling medium/large lures and live-lining bunker
                            Rod 2 - MH Spinning rod for throwing snag hook or snag rig, jigging, or additional trolling
                            Rod 3 - Casting/Jigging rod for throwing plastics, drifting sandworms, or jigging bucktails

Tackle:
                            Snag hooks x2 (large trebble hook with molded lead, don't need many unless a bluefish bites you off)
                            ALT Snag hook rig - 4/0 trebble hook, 2ft of 50lb+ flouro, barrel swivel, .5-1oz egg weight on main line
                            Tube and worm rig - I recomend the 19" Hogy tube in wine or pink, buy sandworms up there or use fishbites/gulp. Fish these on a 3ft 50-80lb leader (bc of bluefish) to a high quality ballbearing swivel. You can use a keel weight, rubbercore sinker, egg weight, etc if you need to get it down quicker but you do not need a weight.
                            Bucktails & gulp swimming mullets - bring 1/2-1.5oz in various colors. Unless you are fishing near the bridge or jigging too high off the bottom (bluefish) you shouldn't need many as the bay is not very snaggy.
                            Plastics/leadheads to jig - BKDs, swimshads, flukes, hogy's whatever you like etc on 3/8-1.5 oz heads (mostly 3/8-1oz used) in colors like pink, white, blue/grey, yellow.
                            Plugs - Poppers, X-raps, rattle traps in various sizes/colors
                            Live-lining rigs - large circle hooks (8/0+), heavy leader, fish finder rigs or egg sinkers to help you get the bunker below the bluefish.
                            Top / Bottom rigs or weakfish rigs for fishing sandworms (I don't do this but it can be productive)

Accessories:
                            Scissors or a knife to make strip bait or chunk bunker
                            Fish Grips for bluefish
                            Light for night fishing
                            cart, long haul to water from camping area
                            navionics app or a fishfinder with gps makes it very helpful for finding the channels and edges.

Maybe some other guys want to chime in on things to bring? Also, if you don't have a tube, don't worry you can definitely still catch fish and I have some extras from various tournament bags you can probably use.
                            Last edited by Redfish12; 03-24-2014, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Great write up Redfish!! I'll see ya'll late Weds. or Thurs. morning.

Comment

Working...
                              X