X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current Rockfish Regulations through April 15

I thought this might be useful to post:

From - http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries...bregmap02.html

The following is a reminder of striped bass catch and release regulations that went into effect on March 22, 2010:

E. Fishing Restrictions for the period March 1 through the 3rd Friday in April. The restrictions in this section apply to the waters of the Chesapeake Bay and its tidal tributaries that are not closed in accordance with §D(1) of this regulation. During the period from March 1 through the third Friday in April:

(1) A person recreationally angling: (a) When using fish, crabs, or worms as bait, or processed bait, shall use: (i) Circle hooks; or (ii) "J" hooks with a gap of less than 1/2 inch between the point and the shank; (b) May not use stinger hooks; and (c) Shall use barbless hooks while trolling; and
    (2) No more than six lines, regardless of the number of people on board a vessel, may be used for recreationally angling from a boat when trolling. Definitions:
    Stinger Hook” means any hook which trails another hook, either by direct physical attachment to the lead hook or by a connective device such as a swivel or chain, and is part of the same bait or lure.

Trolling” means the method of angling in which fish are attracted to a lure or bait being trailed from a boat which is being moved by mechanical power.

"Circle hook" means a non-offset hook with the point turned perpendicularly back to the shank. Circle hooks used in bait fisheries should be “non offset”. That is, if the hook is laid on a flat surface, all parts of the hook lie flat on the surface.
    Attached Files
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Can someone verify the definition of "mechanical power"? If I am wading and casting a plug, does it have to be barbless? According to the rules as written I am inclined to say no.

This would be the same for trolling, I have a paddle only kayak and therefore the rule seems to allow me to have barbs. It looks as though stinger hooks are out, which means the storm bait that has two hooks in it will require one to be clipped, correct? I purchased a parachute at one of the shows, this means the stinger will need to be removed, correct?

Comment

Is it really saying that you can only use a lure with one hook while trolling? Confused?
      Digital Livewell

Comment

does this mean no teasers?
        Jay

10' Green Slayer
        13’ Red Slayer

Comment

I think teasers should be ok, J hooks with bait have a restriction. Teasers are not attached to the lure so I think they would be ok. Still unclear if they have to be barbless.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
            Can someone verify the definition of "mechanical power"? If I am wading and casting a plug, does it have to be barbless? According to the rules as written I am inclined to say no.

This would be the same for trolling, I have a paddle only kayak and therefore the rule seems to allow me to have barbs. It looks as though stinger hooks are out, which means the storm bait that has two hooks in it will require one to be clipped, correct? I purchased a parachute at one of the shows, this means the stinger will need to be removed, correct?
            In a kayak, the "power" comes from your arms and legs, whether you peddle of paddle. I believe battery maybe ok also since power is produced by electrcity only.

Comment

You really need to read the whole rule book. Such as, earlier in the rule book, under Tidal Sport Fishing, bottom of the page, it defines a plug or lure with multiple hooks is considered one set of hooks. So two hooks on a crankbait is condidered one bait. However, no one generally, at least to my knowledge, trolls two crankbaits from a single line. What a mess that would be, but it would be legal. You can troll two parachutes from a single line, just no stinger hooks, which makes sense. Stinger hooks can be taken deep by a fish.

Just me speaking here, if I were wade fishing with a plug, I would mash the barbs down. Its for the fish. Although, there is no mention of wade fishing. Just as there is no mention of dynamite, yee hah. Fourth of July has come early this year.

Also, I'd be careful about electric motors. I believe that is considered mechanical power. Maryland requires boats, canoes and kayaks with electric motors to be registered. However, the issue of pedal powered boats seems to be still under the definition of non-powered or non-mechanical, with no registration. Seems to me the definition of trolling may be a definition in favor of kayak fishing. However, if I were pre-season fishing back in the rivers, I would probably mash the barbs down. The fish must be released, so why not do it in the most beneficial way for the fish to survive.

I normally don't start my river fishing until June 1. That is when I don't have to worry about the BS. I do fish the open bay prior to that date, but the weather has to be right.

I will spot ya'll a couple of months fishing for stripers before I start.
              Last edited by DOGFISH; 03-14-2011, 05:44 PM.

Comment

yeah a lure is considered 1 set of hooks even if it has 3 sets of trebles. barbless only if you are trolling so mash them if your pulling them behind you if casting topwaters no need to mash them.

Comment

Surf, it says trolling by mechanical means... doesn't sound like a kayak. The only reason I'm making the argument is I don't want to mash all the barbs or snip the stingers on the lures I bought at flea markets if I don't have to... It would be nice to use them this fall as well.

Last edited by Redfish12; 03-14-2011, 09:52 PM.

Comment

i got a ton of bucktails i'll give you some

ll

Comment

Working...
                    X