Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ocean Kayak Big Game ii

Hey Guys,
    Just got my Big game ii. There is really nothing online about rigging them up. Anyone have some suggestions for Anchor trolley and mounting a lowrance x4?

thanks!
    Evan

Welcome This forum has all kinds of idea just go to [ Dry Dock ] and see what others have done. Most recommend taking it out a few times see where your hand will be during paddling, where you put your paddle when fighting a fish. You don't want to mount thing that are going to get in the way.
    Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
    Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Nice boat. Have you paddled it yet. It looks like that sharp bow would cut through water pretty well, and it looks like it's got a nice wide beam. It's a beast. I bought an anchor trolley kit from Austin Canoe/Kayak that works well and wasn't too expensive.
      Hurricane Skimmer 128
      WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Looks like you have a lot of flexibility in where to mount things on that yak, thats awesome.

For an anchor trolley, I went the DIY route and used a length of paracord, some double D-loops (not sure what else to call them) connected by a swivel mechanism between, and some simple wide head stainless screws. I used the D-loops in place of pulleys. I haven't tried it out yet but the loops keep enough tension on the paracord that I don't think I will need to use a cleat. Don't have that option with pulleys.

The whole set up was probably under $10 with a lot of paracord left to spare.
        Mike

Comment

I like the 6 platforms where you can add accessories.
          Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
          2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Trolleys are easy.
            No pulleys are needed, just loop the line through snap-links or caribiners.
            However you might want some pad eyes to feed the top side of line through. Without the pad eyes, tension on the anchor line will pull down on the bottom side of the line making the top side of the line tight... pulling it up over the gunwale.
            2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
            Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
              Trolleys are easy.
              No pulleys are needed, just loop the line through snap-links or caribiners.
              However you might want some pad eyes to feed the top side of line through. Without the pad eyes, tension on the anchor line will pull down on the bottom side of the line making the top side of the line tight... pulling it up over the gunwale.
              Sorry guys...when I was asking about trolleys i meant specifically for this Yak. I have installed them on 4 other yaks tarpons, prowlers ect ect. There are just no existing points on this yak(especially near the rear of the yak). I think I might have use the rudder screws and then mount a cleat thru hall up near the bow.

All of the other trolleys I have done were no drill off existing factory points.

Thanks!!

Comment

WOW!...nice ride. If you want to get some ideas about rigging that monster, start with youtube...they have tons of info for this subject. Good luck.
                Hobie Pro Angler 14 Yellow

"Only two sailors, in my experience, never ran aground. One never left port and the other was an atrocious liar"

Comment

Wow that thing is awesome! OK here ya go, where the paddle keeper two mounting holes are you could mount one of those black plastic quick release cleats, also you could put the upper hand line though plastic wire clamps mounted under the three mounting plates, sort of sticking out to hold the line, put pulleys on I know how hard you fish! You could even split the trolley into a bow and stern setup and mount the pulleys where those other mounting holes are.
                  Better yet , just let your Dad and I do it while up are up steelhead fishing this weekend!.........Jack

Comment

Was the rudder optional? I couldn't imagine paddling that monster in any kind of wind without one.

John
                    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Working...
                    X