HOW Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOW Question

So I'm in the process of transferring to Hawaii (currently TDY to Pensacola, FL) and will be headed to Hawaii shortly. Is there a HOW Chapter in Hawaii? If not, is there a process to starting a new Chapter? I know Kayak fishing in Hawaii has become pretty big and there are also a lot of Military folks out there. If anyone has any input, suggestions, ideas, etc please let me know. Thanks!

Jeff
    Jeff B
    Perception Sport 12.5 Caster

Hi Jeff - I had to go to the organizations website to find out....I have attached the link. http://heroesonthewater.org/chapters/
    It does not appear that there is a Chapter there. This is my first year with the leadership team of the Maryland Chapter which was
    already started/in place so I cant tell you how to start a Chapter. I would contact the Organization in Texas directly. THey will be very glad
    to discuss with you how to get a Chapter going. Its sounds like a great place for one. Good luck & thanks for your service. - Wayne
    Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

Jeff,

I cannot tell you all that is entailed in starting a chapter, but I can give you a start. I am try to start a chapter here in Northern VA/DC area. I have been in contact with the Tidewater, Maryland, and Central VA Chapters as well as Jim Dolan, the founder. Jim requires that you have a leadership team of four people arranged before he will send you the paperwork. What the paper work entails, I did not ask, as getting four people to commit was going to be challenge enough. Good news is I think I have the four I need. Will ask for paper work after we all have a meeting.

But back to you - you'll need four people at least, then you will need a source of volunteers and equipment. The first few outings the work is on your team to assemble borrowed equipment until everyone is comfortable that the chapter will sustain. The last and most vital thing you need is a source of vets. From what I have gathered, in some areas this can be more challenging them you might expect. National could probably give you more info, but I found you had to have specific questions. Everyone has been gracious with their time and patience, but I suspect they get a number of people inquiring about starting a group and not really having the ability to do so. I have so far relied a good deal on the surrounding chapters for info and I believe I will need them for help initially, with equip. etc. You'll be on your own, so I think you will need to make friends fast. Which is good to do anyway.
      Karl

Native Watercraft Ultimate 14.5, Versa Board, Wilderness Systems Pungo 120

Comment

Good info...The paperwork HOW Corporate will send, once you have a team assembled, among other things, is a release so background checks can be done on those who wish to be part of the leadership. As leadership, you not only take the vets out fishing but you solicate donations, contributions and the like & often that can be cash. Plus you are likely to meet with Veteran Affairs type folks & may need access to bases or hospitals. A clean background & good character are critical. Wayne
        Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

Originally posted by wfauby View Post
          A clean background & good character are critical. Wayne
          I hope they don't check with Cowpokey! My aspirations will be crushed
          Karl

Native Watercraft Ultimate 14.5, Versa Board, Wilderness Systems Pungo 120

Comment

Working...
          X