Why Kayak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Kayak?

I had a very specific reason to want to fish out of a kayak. I wanted something economical, something that was simple, something unencumbered, that I could jump into on the spur of the moment without feeling like I was preparing for an expedition to the dark continent and most of all something portable without having to have the investment of a tow vehicle. When I owned and fished out of my 24 foot Stamas, I had a 4X4 Ford F-150 just to tow it.

I figured the cons were many but the pros would be equal- my wife is most concerned about safety and me not coming home. I am getting long in the tooth, but in reasonably good shape for the shape that I am in. I figured a bonus would be exercise and bringing home some fresh fish occasionally for the table- how about you- why did you decide to go with kayak fishing?
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

easy one. My friends were doing it and it was a great way to own a boat without all of the other hassles. I can fish skinnier water and in more areas than a boat.

edit: The joy in rigging the boat and keeping it simple is fun during the winter months when a new boat is in the basement. Some guys turn their yaks into wannabe boats. Add all kinds of switches, goop everything, and by the time they are finished the hull has more holes in it filled with goop than actual original plastic. I call this the Michael Jackson syndrome
    Last edited by Japanesezero; 03-11-2011, 09:01 AM.

Comment

24' stamas is a great boat and must have been hard to give up, but from one boat owner to another,,,,there is no better feeling than selling a boat. The fact that you have to list a nice truck as part of the package deal puts things into perspective for non boat owners. I don't have to tell you the expenses of a boat often kills the enjoyment of owning one.
      Having switch to kayak, I do have to say there are pluses and minuses. It is dirt cheap with very little maintenance cost. You can almost throw them on any vehicle, and leave them up there for a late night/early morning back-to-back trips.
      Bad side is you do have to pick your days. I remember once fishing the Eastern shore area on a YAk, getting blown around like a top. I was having a beast of a time trying to remain stable. Then this guy in a 17' skiff starts fishing right next to me. The way he was fishing and how his boat was moving, I don't even think he knew it was windy, and I am dead serious. I almost sold the yak and bought a skiff that day.
      But there have been plenty of shallow water days, picking of fish, clams, oysters in CI that could have never been done on a boat. I have had plenty of trips in CI were I saw it was nice, untied the yak and fished for an hour, something that can never be done in less that 4 hours on a boat. The yak is a no-brainer, no worrier, which are terms never used when owning a boat.
      Buy one because if you don't use it, you can sell it for the same price you paid for it without the slip fees, winterizing, tune-ups, new batteries/bilige/starter and wear and tear on your truck.
      There is nothing to lose, plus way more people get hurt on boats than kayaks.
      Jay

10' Green Slayer
      13’ Red Slayer

Comment

There are plenty of times on the pier and the surf where you get the feeling that the fish just aren't THERE often. And when they ARE there, you're dealing with crowded conditions, and all that comes along with that. When I learned about kayak fishing, it struck me as the easiest solution.

Owning a kayak provides great mobility without the extra responsibilities that come along with boat ownership. I live in a condo. I have no place to store a boat/trailer. I drive a saturn...I wouldn't want to think about using that to tow anything more than a jon boat lol. I don't have to worry about boat maintenance, let alone gasoline prices.

Funny thing...during my last outing, a guy saw me motoring around in my kayak. After talking for a minute he laughs and says "that defeats the purpose!" I asked him "What's MY purpose sir?" He mentioned something about exercise. I asked "Is that your purpose, or my purpose?"

lol..
        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Why Kayak? Because it is fun.

Comment

Simple, affordable, environmentally responsible and satisfies primeval urges pitting man against beast.
            Digital Livewell

Comment

Always loved small boat fishing because I could get into places where the fish were but I wanted to also go to the places the big boats went so I could safely catch those bigger fish .......... so I bought a bigger boat and found it's a pain to go an more expensive ..........

Kayak is the best of both worlds ........ can go to places the big boats go and places they can't ....... can launch anywhere and at anytime ........ closer to the fish ....... can troll using lighter rods so you fight the fish instead of reelin up a bucket ....... just all around more fun ...... and of course you guys ....... I need more time on the water this year and will probably sell 1 or both of my other boats if I continue to like it as well as I do now ........

Comment

Because it's quiet and lets you get closer to nature. Plus fighting a fish from a kayak is much more fun than from a boat. And because there is just something about cruising around in a yak that I like.
                " All who wander are not lost"

Comment

I live near the Susky and fished these waters from a canoe for years. We fish water that boats can't get too. Problem was finding someone at the spur of the moment to ride along. Bought a kayak about 5 years ago to fish by myself when I NEED to and now most of my fishing buddies own at least one themselves ( I now have 5). We meet at the river hang near each other to catch up on things and can paddle off to fish an area. Makes for a very relaxed and enjoyable time on the river. Its the only way to go!

Comment

Quick, cheap and simple way to travel and get off the bank! It also opened up a bunch of fishing oprotunities that I didn't have before I bought the yak. Also love how a quality fish will take you for a ride!

Comment

i got into it bc i couldnt afford a boat, and hated the shore options in md. i HATED dealing with crossed lines and non fisherman getting int he way. also, it's pretty hard to target certain species from shore, where as a kayak, you can target different spcies by location an method of fishing.

i now prefer kayak fshing to boat fishing any day of the week
                      sigpic

Comment

For livelining, nothing beats a kayak. Ive been on a couple boats trying to liveline structure and its such a pain. Have the time your adjusting the boat trying to get it up close. With a kayak, you can weave in and out of pilons and structure with no problem. It also makes fighting a fish 10x more fun than on the boat. Its like a tug of war match...lol

The Kayak Revolution has started!!!!
                        Hobie Revolution 13
                        Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

I am relatively new to kayak fishing but as someone with little boating experience I wanted to be in control when I am on the water.

Comment

Working...
                          X