No announcement yet.

Rigging ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for your service! When you get into town let us know, there are always guys going out and some of us have extra yaks in case you don't have yours figured out.

Summer time there should be lots of croaker, spot, perch, rock, and hopefully if this rain stops we'll get some other species making the trip up the bay this year!

Looks like you have a good grasp on rigging and those leashes look great. I'm 6'1'' and I use a 230cm bending branches slice angler on my trident 13. I am a lazy paddler and use more of a lower slow and steady stroke. I'm not the fastest and definitely not in your kind of shape, but I can cover some ground.
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
      I have an idea for the leashes, we were issued blackhawk pistol leashes for our 9mm's im going to collect abunch of them and use those. heres a link to what one looks like, do yall think its a good idea?

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Tac...ard,194,88.htm

the idea would be to clip it onto the rod holder or the yak and use the velcro end for the rod/paddle. I have 3 already and i know so of the guys here are going to get rid of theirs.
      Mil-spec rod leashes. I like it. Those will work pretty well. After I dropped a rod overboard, I made my own from phone cord.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

2 weeks

2 weeks until im on the Bird home! hopefully sittin on my couch by the last week of april.
        Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

2 weeks until im on the Bird home! hopefully sittin on my couch by the last week of april.
          ......... You mean on your YAK don't ya .........

Comment

so

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
            ......... You mean on your YAK don't ya .........
            Yessirr!
            Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Yessirr!
              Hey ... hey .... hey ............ we don't cotton to that SIR stuff around here ..... 'specially us geezers .......... but we'll overlook it this time cause your still over there serving us .........

but once you're here ......... knock it off !!!!!!! ........

Get home safe dude ........ lookin ta Yak wit ya .......

Comment

You Tube

You Tube has some good ideas, but I found that once you get the hull wet paddling for the first time, you may re-think some of those suggestions. Don't get too far ahead of what you will need based on your own set of circumstances. I am changing my setup after my outings. For example the center mount position on the Scotty multi mount has my Hummingbird 570DI fish finder. After fishing, I don't like it there and will move it. Same story about the rod holders. I have to really stretch to pull a rod out with a fish on. Not where it needs to be. The anchor trolley is OK, but the rocket Launcher rod holders behind me are a PIA to reach and fish while paddle trolling. And they tend to tangle the lines when you are trolling from the front rod holders and a fish strikes and runs. I am re-thinking my entire setup. It all depends on what you are fishing and the strategy you use to fish for that species. For a general everything setup, I am good to go, but for fresh water trout, not so much. Same for bass fishing with lures. Bottom fishing anchored with bait for catfish or croakers, probably....drifting for flounder, not so much.

The nice thing about the Scotty setup is that you can take them off almost instantly and reconfigure your yak. I am going to drill tow holes and install two additional flush mount locations based on last week's experience fishing Wheatly Lake.

So my advice is don't get too far ahead with rigging before you get your kayak and you put some time on the water. Tight lines and good luck!
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

^yep^

It took me about 3 trips before I knew what rigging methods would work best for me.
                  <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Working...
                  X