Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone using the C Tug kayak cart?

http://www.outdoorplay.com/C-Tug-Sol...7&category=268

I made a cart out of pvc & stuff and it just didn't hold up...I need something that will handle the Big Tuna. If anyone has a suggestion on another manufactured brand Im open. Thanks - Wayne
    Jackson - BIG TUNA

i used it for the kilroy.. it rolls over anything with no problems.
    but the straps are HORRIBLE.

check the style of your boat before you buy as well, they dont fit all the hulls, even tho it seems like they would. I do know they dont fit a ride 115x. each hull is made diff.
    Zach Moore
    Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
    Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
    Bait Towel Pro Staff
    2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
    YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

On another site a guy advocated a C-Tug with the wheel extenders until he found that it plowed through the sand just like most of the other non-inflated wheel types. He tried "sealing" the wheels with duct tape and that helped some.

I have hard rubber wheel and inflated wheel carts. The former for hard surfaces and the latter for sand/gravel. Both have their places. Neither are scupper carts so storage at launch is an issue for me in a Revo 11. Otherwise I travel light so I have the space in the tank well.

Comment

I use the C-Tug with my Big Tuna. As BassMoore mentioned, the straps are terrible. The first few times I used the cart, the straps weren't tightly secured and the yak slipped completely off the cart. I think I've solved this problem, however. After I strap the cart to the yak, I then thread the Big Tuna's stern seat strap -- the one that is factory-bolted to the deck -- through the stainless eyelet that is also bolted to the deck. Then I tie the seat strap to the C-Tug's strap with an overhand knot to keep it from slipping. I haven't had any problems with it since I started this routine.

The other issue I have with the C-Tug is that because it does not use the scupper plugs, it is somewhat difficult to align properly. More often than not, after I first place the yak on the cart, the yak and the cart are askew, so I then have to make small adjustments to make them line up. I've gotten better at this over time, so it's less of an issue than it was initially.

That said, I'm happy with the cart. It is very solid and will hold a bunch of weight. It also breaks down quickly and slides easily into the Tuna's rear hatch. Also, I don't have the wheel extensions, but I've used it on the muddy incline at Homeport with no problem. I've also used it in the sand at Jonas Green and thought it worked well enough.
        Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

Wayne, Greg has one.

I like the design, but wish it was higher. Fishing is not too bad but when hunting I like the cart mid yak on walk ins. The C-Tug is a bit short for that and needs to be at the back or you bang the keel on the ground. When in the back you carry more weight on your arm, but much less in the middle of the yak.
          "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

I've got one... never had any issue with it besides the tires. I wish I would have gotten the plastic wheels, but they weren't available when I got mine. I may upgrade in the future. About the straps. They work fine but you gotta put the cart more forward, I place mine right under the seat area. So if it slips a bit it will hit my seat.

When I carry it I keep the yak just about level, not pulling it up too high. It works for me as the handle is just about the natural fall of my hand by my waist. It's a good cart though, I'd recommend it but I would highly suggest the plastic wheels versus the rubber ones.

Comment

I have the C-Tug as well. I started out with the regular tires. As with many other users, the inner tubes failed at the valve stem. I replaced one with a tube from Harbor freight. Kind of a pain, but doable. Once the second tube failed, I went ahead and upgraded to the hard plastic wheels and the sidewinder inserts. Expensive, but much better over sand.

I think the straps could be better, but you kinda figure them out. I tied an overhand knot in one of mine as well.

I love the cart, and wont ever use anything different.
              <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Wayne,

You can get the cart for $127 shipped from Austin Kayak. I have a 15% discount code you can use...
                <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Wayne,

I tried to reply, but I must have hit the wrong button. It does not matter as metroman basically said what I was going to. I pulled a two kayak stack 1/2 mile in FL through some spots of sand without an issue. I have to add some mods to get my Ultimate to work, but it will not be difficult. I have a wide variety of boats that i bring along on family outings and the c-tug adapts well to all of them, and when it doesn't it is is pretty easy to add on to it to make it work. If you invite me fishing or otherwise find yourelf down here in VA, I will let you try it out on your boat.
                  Karl

Native Watercraft Ultimate 14.5, Versa Board, Wilderness Systems Pungo 120

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
                    Wayne,

You can get the cart for $127 shipped from Austin Kayak. I have a 15% discount code you can use...
                    THANKS TO ALL WHO REPLIED!! Very helpful...I will go ahead and order one. If you could PM me the code I will order from Austin. I need a YakAttack lite as well. Thanks again - Wayne
                    Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

Wayne, I have a c-tug that I use on my Commander 120 and my Ride 135. So far it has worked great on the canal and at a few other places. I have the inflatable tire and so far no issues, haven't tried a long drag in sand yet.

Comment

I've tried many carts and the c-tug beats them all. For those with problems keeping the straps tight I had the same problem until I saw a video on the correct way to thread the straps. The written instructions with the cart do not explain it very well. The link to the youtube video is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRPUtQEzoiw

Comment

kayakist....thanks for the reply and video link....I will have it playing when I am placing the straps on the cart. Regards - Wayne
                          Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

Originally posted by kayakist View Post
                            I've tried many carts and the c-tug beats them all. For those with problems keeping the straps tight I had the same problem until I saw a video on the correct way to thread the straps. The written instructions with the cart do not explain it very well. The link to the youtube video is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRPUtQEzoiw
                            That's exactly how I secure my straps, but for some reason, every now and then, I still need to secure the straps using another tie down. Operator error, I guess.
                            Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

The CTug is in, the straps are on...Thank god for the video...the paperwork wasn't worth a darn. Thanks kayakist for the reference.
                              Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

Working...
                              X