Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grass Shrimp

Default Grass Shrimp

Too cold to do anything outside so I've been experimenting at the vise.

I'm trying to make a grass shrimp imitation and made this one in the photo by combining various shrimp patterns I've seen on-line.

I made the eyes out of 12 pound mono. I burned the ends with a candle flame. I think they're too small but when I asked my wife what this fly looked like she immediately said "a shrimp." I hope the white perch think so too.

Grass Shrimp.jpg
    Mark

Olive Hobie Revo 13
    Olive Jackson Coosa

Great Job Mark. What did you use for the body ,also did you color the burnt ends to get that green color on the eyes?

Good looking fly.

I don't remember who it was, but I got a few pink and green grass shrimp style flies from a gentleman at the Lake Shore swap meet. They looked good, as does yours, and I'm excited to try them this summer. I bought 3 from him and he threw the 4th one in free, can't beat that! His eyes were a little further back, closer to the hook shank, maybe he'll chime in as well.
    Live every week like it's shark week.

I also saw those shrimp at Lake Shore and thought they looked really nice. I'm sure they'll catch fish.

That's when I decided to try to make my own.

I used white chenille for the body, palmered some hackle and topped the fly with Flashabou to give it translucence.

I weighted the size 4 Mustad 3366 hook with lead under the chenille.

The tail (or front) is tan buck tail.

I did not color the eyes. The blue mono turned green when I melted it. I just wish they were a little bigger.

In any case I think this fly will work nicely drifted along rip rap or near pilings for white perch or maybe even a rogue striper looking for a tiny meal.
    Mark

Olive Hobie Revo 13
    Olive Jackson Coosa

Nice job!
    Harry
    Jackson Cuda 14
    Forest Camo

Looks good and definitely will work. I've caught perch on really tiny nymph flies.

What a coinciidence, I just tyed up 2 for fishing sea trout this summer. I used 2/0 hooks with white rubber legs for antennas, palmered pearl chenille, white neck hackle, and a narly duck flank that couldn't be used for a zoocougar as the shell. I used burnt eyes on one and used tiny grizzly stubs for claws on the other. Flytyer Magazine has some really nice looking scuds in there that I may attempt next if I can get find the bays specific colors.

Does anybody know what color the scuds are the bay?
    PigPen - Mt Airy
    Native Mariner 12.5

Quote Originally Posted by PigPen View Post
    What a coinciidence, I just tyed up 2 for fishing sea trout this summer. I used 2/0 hooks with white rubber legs for antennas, palmered pearl chenille, white neck hackle, and a narly duck flank that couldn't be used for a zoocougar as the shell. I used burnt eyes on one and used tiny grizzly stubs for claws on the other. Flytyer Magazine has some really nice looking scuds in there that I may attempt next if I can get find the bays specific colors.

Does anybody know what color the scuds are the bay?
    About the same as our grass shrimp

Mark, Nice looking grass shrimp..

RockFlag&Eagle37, That was me, GB.

I use Sparkle braid for the body, bucktail and flashabou for the head section, and painted bath tub stopper chain for the eyes..

GB