No announcement yet.

Kayak Camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks. I will have to go for a test run before coming back with the boys.
    2000 Old Town Loon 138T
    2013 Field and Stream Eagle Talon

Comment

Originally posted by crabsnbeer View Post
      The website lists that they have "Three back country camp sites are located along the trails for overnight expeditions". Is it casual enough that you could just park and camp in the wild or would I be better off just reserving one of the sites? Thanks for the info.
      The spots I was referring to aren't part of the state park; just beaches on marsh islands out in the bay.
      Brian

Comment

Got it. I have been looking at GoogleEarth. We may plan to stay at one of the cabins in the park the next day. One night on the island and one in the cabins.

Thanks
        2000 Old Town Loon 138T
        2013 Field and Stream Eagle Talon

Comment

Originally posted by crabsnbeer View Post
          Got it. I have been looking at GoogleEarth. We may plan to stay at one of the cabins in the park the next day. One night on the island and one in the cabins.
          Thanks
          Too be fair the distance from the park to what looks like protected water isn't far and access to a shower wouldn't hurt. But I think having a small fire on the beach with buds and beer would be killer.
          PigPen - Mt Airy
          Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

I was almost killed by gnats there last year at 2 pm in the afternoon on a warm summer day. I stepped off the road for one second and they swarmed me.

I also saw a dead 7" speckled trout floating belly up in the canal - gnats, mosquitoes???

Be careful.

Comment

Don't know much about the area your planning to camp. But it doesn't take much for low footprint overnight kayak trips. Everything should fit inside the hull depending on your kayak. small tent, sleeping bag, a way to filter water and make food and you're set. A buddy and I did 3 nights on the Shenandoah last year early in the season. With multiple layers of clothing and a pair of waders we were able to fit everything we needed in a few back packs. It was a tight fit, but dry clothes took up most of our space.
              -Jon
              Revo 13

Comment

I saw some pictures from the area and it doesn't look like fire wood will be available on those sand bars near James island. I have a gas burner to attach to a propane bottle and a stand but won't keep me warm or roast fish.
                PigPen - Mt Airy
                Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

just spent 3 days on the northern Potomac, Spring Gap, MD went about 45 miles down river with a group of friends.10295745_10202967524661297_826350109168217435_n.jpg
                  Mark Harrison

Hobie Outback - Yellow

Comment

Working...
                  X