Looking for new places to fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for new places to fish

I grew up fishing Largemouth my entire life. I have grown quite fond of it and would love to continue, however fishing Loch Raven has grown repetetive in the recent seasons. I bought my first Kayak last summer and have only taken it out once. I didnt have any luck but it was a quite pleasant experience to be out on the water doing what i love.

I guess what i'm asking is if anyone knows of any good kayak fishing areas (not Loch Raven, Liberty, or Pretty Boy) around me where i can explore next. I would also be willing to meet some new people as none of my friends are kayak fisherman. I live in Kingsville MD, and dont really want to take my yak too far given its a pretty awkward drive in my vehicle.

Also, if anyone knows of any good bass ponds i can hit, that would be great too (i wont tell anyone ) i like pond hopping as an alternate to the boat sometimes

thanks for the help guys

Near you.

Mariner Park - Joppatowne
    Dundee Creek
    Susky Flats = Lapidum launch upstream is smallie water
    Summer Wade fishing - Deer creek, and Gunpowder falls

I used to fish Rocks state park. to Susky. Caught numerous trout, smallies, fallfish and sunfish
    I also used to fish Gunpowder (Cromwell Bridge to Harford road stretch and catch bass and sunfish.
    Hurricane Skimmer 128
    WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Cant take an outside boat or yak in Loch Raven, Liberty, or PrettyBoy anyways, because its the Balt Cnty Watershed

Comment

thanks, i did take it out at mariner point, my best option with alot of exploring to do.
        will have to try dundee creek

and yes i know unfortunately, i hike there anyways

Comment

kingsville? you have a ton of bay and rivers so close by

kayak and how far to travel?
          sigpic

Comment

Your are not that far from the lower Susquehanna River (known as the Susky for short). From Conowingo Dam down to the Susky Flats is one of the best fishing areas in the State of MD. Learn this area, and learn it well. It will not disappoint you. Super hot time on this river is from April thru May. Just about every species of fish in the State will be in this area either spawning or eating whats there spawning. The flowing river portion of the Susky can frequently be a dicey area to fish from a kayak due to suddenly changing currents, fast currents, and a bazillion boulders. There is tons of shore access on the Harford County side of the river, about 7 miles of it. The more you learn the river the more you will be fishing there.
            Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Welcome! I grew up in kingsville and there are many great places nearby as others have mentioned. Susky would probably be my favorite as well. Patapsco isnt far either and can have very good fishing at times for perch and Striper as well. What kind of yak do you have? That would be helpful in suggesting places to go.
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys! I have the field and stream eagle talon 12ft SoT. Is there good access to the flats, whether from tthe shore or to launch a boat? Patapsco and Susky are both large rivers so I assume there is good access there. Where are the more calm areas (w/o boulders and crazy currents)?
                Thanks fellas for all the good info!!

Comment

Originally posted by lewbert View Post
                  Thanks for the responses guys! I have the field and stream eagle talon 12ft SoT. Is there good access to the flats, whether from tthe shore or to launch a boat? Patapsco and Susky are both large rivers so I assume there is good access there. Where are the more calm areas (w/o boulders and crazy currents)?
                  Thanks fellas for all the good info!!
                  Lapidum ramp north of Havre disgrace, or there are a couple parks with ramps to choose from in Havre Disgrace proper.
                  Hurricane Skimmer 128
                  WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Check out this MD-DNR site that shows a whole lot of launches found throughout the State.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/boating/boatramps.asp

There are a couple of launches right in Havre de Grace shown on the above link. Click on Harford County then click on the insert. Most, but not all, launches are free to cartops. As I said earlier in this thread... learn the river. Buy a Harford County ADC May Book. Take time during March to just drive up the river from Havre de Grace to the dam with map in hand. Cross the dam and drive down the river on the Cecil County side of the river. Stop at all the access points and look them over.

Also, take the time to go way back a couple of years on Snaggedline and see what/where/how people are fishing.
                    Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Another very easy river to kayak fish is the Bush River. Flying Point Park and Willoughby Boat Ramp are very friendly access points once they open. The main attraction is the RR bridge, but plenty of piers and docks will easily grab your attention. Stripers, LM bass, perch, and catfish are common in these waters.
                      2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                      2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                      2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Thanks fellas, I'm gonna have to scout the area. That boat ramp link is great, thanks Howard

Comment

Am I missing it, or is this not a regulation any more??

http://www.baltimorecountymd.gov/Age...rulesregs.html

Originally posted by imagine29028 View Post
                          Cant take an outside boat or yak in Loch Raven, Liberty, or PrettyBoy anyways, because its the Balt Cnty Watershed
                          Ascend FS128T

Comment

It is. It's heavily regulated meaning only like 30 permits Are allotted each year, not worth the trouble for me

Comment

Working...
                            X