February 2014 Susky Meet and Greet Recap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• February 2014 Susky Meet and Greet Recap

It was truly a beautiful day on the water. The river was completely flat for a large portion of the morning and water clarity was excellent. Around 18 members attended the fishing portion of the M&G and 15 attended the lunch afterwards. It was great seeing familiar faces, along with making new friends on the water. We really got lucky considering what Maryland has been through this winter. Everyone was feeling a bit awkward getting back in the kayak "groove."

We had a slippery start before sunrise, a number of members brought shovels to clear a path to the water. Amazed that no boaters has used the ramp since the heat wave. Thank you to moc, Coop1486, Kitkatyaker, and DaveFX35 for efforts!

The fishing was consistent. Everyone caught numerous yellow perch, and many had stringers hanging off the sides of their kayaks. A few members actually limited and others mixed the action with some channel cats. 50-70 FT depths seem to work best for me, minnows and plastics were 50/50...both producing good results. Lunch was great, of course fishing was the topic of the day...we are all looking forward to a great season!
    Attached Files
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

It was great getting out on the water today. The weather couldn't have been any better. A little cooler in the morning and warmed up towards the afternoon. Great seeing everyone. I ended up limiting out on the YP and caught one channel cat. Great job Sparky!

Here are some pictures from today.
    Attached Files

Outback 2015
    Maui

Comment

Thanks for organizing Jeremy! Awesome time and great to see some old faces and meet some new ones.

I've already got 3 perch in my belly. All the ones I caught had roe inside so that was a nice bonus. I decided to poach the roe with some butter, fresh sage and old bay with a squeeze of lime. The meat I pan fried in butter and lime juice. They were delicious. Looking forward to some more tomorrow.

I'm considering hitting the water again tomorrow. Hmmm....decisions decisions.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

Looks like a great day of kayak fishing hopefully I can make the next one.

Comment

Thanks for organizing Jeremy. Had a blast with the nonstop action and meeting new addicts.

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
          Thanks for organizing Jeremy! Awesome time and great to see some old faces and meet some new ones.

I've already got 3 perch in my belly. All the ones I caught had roe inside so that was a nice bonus. I decided to poach the roe with some butter, fresh sage and old bay with a squeeze of lime. The meat I pan fried in butter and lime juice. They were delicious. Looking forward to some more tomorrow.

I'm considering hitting the water again tomorrow. Hmmm....decisions decisions.
          I'll be back tomorrow Yak Fish.
          Dave
          2013 Hobie Revolution 11

MMIG

Comment

Okay, so now I want to go there Sunday 2/23. Any takers? Never been there before and would want a partner. Can be there around noon.

Comment

Great Job on the M&G Jeremy. It was an enjoyable time. The weather really cooperated. I ended catching 29 yellow perch. I got one at 12.75 inches ,my biggest, four at 10.5 inches, 6 in the 9 to 9.5 inch and the rest were below 9 inches. I did not keep any fish, I just had them pose for my camera.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by moc; 02-23-2014, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Looks like a nice outing. I'm really surpised iit wasn;t awful cold and muddy out there. Great job!!!
                Hurricane Skimmer 128
                WS Pamlico 100

Comment

I went out again this morning Runnin...and it was awful and muddy! I could not imagine how water conditions went south so quickly. Not many fish being caught, but it was a good number of boats. Finally, a few generation gates opened up later in the morning and pushed the debris and mud into the flats. Finally caught a few keepers, the largest a fiver dollar foot long.

Originally posted by Runnin View Post
                  Looks like a nice outing. I'm really surpised iit wasn;t awful cold and muddy out there. Great job!!!
                  2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK

JEREMY D

Comment

Nice work guys, looks like a great time. The snifters of beer looked delicious as well

Comment

Looks like it was a nice day. Thanks for the pic's guys. Hope to see a few of you next weekend.
                      Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
                      Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Great day on the water. Good to see some fellow kayak anglers and but some fish in the boat as well !. Nice job Jeremy

Comment

Looks like it was a great day. Glad Mother Nature decided to be nice.

Hey Jeremy, any luck with the fish oil soaked chicken?
                          Jim

Hobie Outback
                          TKAA member
                          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Hey Jim...never even rigged a piece of the chicken, I was having too much fun jerking perch. I will be sure to whip up a batch for the march M&G, I think I will have a good benchmark since everyone is targeting the blue cats.

Originally posted by Rockchaser View Post
                            Looks like it was a great day. Glad Mother Nature decided to be nice.

Hey Jeremy, any luck with the fish oil soaked chicken?
                            2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                            2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK

JEREMY D

Comment

Working...
                            X