No announcement yet.

Winter Projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@archeryrob.....looks awesome. Pls post pics of finished product, curious to see how they turn out and might place an order. lol
    Hobie Revolution 13
    Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Originally posted by dsiekman View Post
      Nice! Did you shoot them or are you doing the taxedermy? Or both?
      Taxidermy work for friends.
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
        Now that winter seems to be upon us I thought I would start a thread for winter projects. What are your winter projects this year? Mine will be to build a few rods (I have built 2 so far!), tie some teasers, organize and replace lost tackle, service my reels, and potentially finish painting the 710z I started a few years ago (currently sitting in a bucket).

I'm not done fishing and I will continue to chase stripers during the winter but I figure these things will keep me from cabin fever this winter!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10511[/ATTACH]

Rolling rods with Snaggedline on the computer. That is dedication to the sport.

I too have 6 or 8 blanks to be built up for spring. I am just trying to muster up enough patience.

rod lathe.jpg
        Last edited by DOGFISH; 01-06-2014, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Wow, I am very jealous of your workspace!!!

And Rob, those look awesome, you'll have to make a video on how they swim.
          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Rob, ever think about using both glass beads and steel to produce maybe a loud clacking noise?
            Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
            -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
            -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

I plan on doing some kayak maintenance and repairs along with some modifications.

Making some PVC trolling rod holders, Design new kayak milkcrate, build a new battery box, reset my transducer in a bottle top as described by tufnik, organize my tackle, and replace my kayak handles.
              Last edited by moc; 01-07-2014, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Already have cabin fever. Ran up to BPS and purchase a Shimano Baitrunner 4000 D to relieve the pain. Looking for a rod to go with it now. Any ideas appreciated. Cleaned out my shed 12x24 and soon will haul in the yak for maintenance. Broke the homemade pvc cart without ever have used it?? So it needs a do over. Plan to spend some time reading up past articles on tips and tackle reviews. A buddy of mine just ordered the Slayer propel model and I can't wait to try it out. I have a couple of Penn Battle reels in need of a good cleaning and relining. Inherited my dads rod repair supplies and might try to revamp one of his old rods and see how that goes. Wish I had paid more attention back when he was trying to teach me.

Comment

The St Croix Tidemaster is an excellent choice if you plan to do salt water.. The BPS carbonlite is also a nice rod for the $$ on the fresh water end..

Originally posted by mango View Post
                  Already have cabin fever. Ran up to BPS and purchase a Shimano Baitrunner 4000 D to relieve the pain. Looking for a rod to go with it now. Any ideas appreciated. Cleaned out my shed 12x24 and soon will haul in the yak for maintenance. Broke the homemade pvc cart without ever have used it?? So it needs a do over. Plan to spend some time reading up past articles on tips and tackle reviews. A buddy of mine just ordered the Slayer propel model and I can't wait to try it out. I have a couple of Penn Battle reels in need of a good cleaning and relining. Inherited my dads rod repair supplies and might try to revamp one of his old rods and see how that goes. Wish I had paid more attention back when he was trying to teach me.
                  2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Thank You OVERBOARD, I like St Croix rods. I will check out the Tidemaster.

Originally posted by OVERBOARD View Post
                    The St Croix Tidemaster is an excellent choice if you plan to do salt water.. The BPS carbonlite is also a nice rod for the $$ on the fresh water end..

Comment

Install gear track
                      Rig trolling motor to foot pedals
                      Install ram mount for nexus 7.2 for use of Mynoaacharts - awesome app
                      Test gopro on different locations
                      Install rod holders on trailer
                      Create umbrella mount for those damn hot days.
                      Install mini sandwich and beer cooler fridge
                      Mount mini propane grill
                      Jackson Cuda Black Widow

Comment

Originally posted by OVERBOARD View Post
                        The St Croix Tidemaster is an excellent choice if you plan to do salt water.
                        Just got one myself. Beautiful rod.
                        I'm planning to pair it with a Daiwa Millionaire MC300L I found on Amazon. But I thought I would see what BPS has in store on Saturday first.
                        2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                        Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Originally posted by Jaspratt View Post
                          Rob, ever think about using both glass beads and steel to produce maybe a loud clacking noise?
                          I have made 2 for evaluation with soda can sides. I made a rattle trap with BB's and a D Bait with a 5/16" lead weight as the rattle. I have them sealing in Natural and have been wanting to test them, BUT everything is frozen and the river is too high.

I have thought of using the casings, but larger, centerfire casings are very thick on one end. One of the guys on the tackle website makes rattle chambers from pipe, but I like the soda can rattle for now. I was just recently trying the wood rattle, hoping it would work.

I am not looking to be taking orders, Its a labor of lover and I am learning, not a professional. When I get better, I might consider trades though.
                          "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Install Fish Finder on my Hurricane Skimmer 128.
                            Add new tracks on my Skimmer.
                            Install LED lights on Skimmer.
                            Build battery box.
                            Wash my PFD.
                            Put new Thule racks on my SUV.
                            Patch keel on Pamlico 100.
                            Hurricane Skimmer 128
                            WS Pamlico 100

Comment

This winter is killing me! Just finished my 4th rod build... I made it for live-lining this summer and it turned out pretty well for my first spiral wrapped rod. Blank is a rainshadow e-glass rod rated 12-20lb and 1/4-1oz weight. Should be fun for summer rock and it bends well into the handle!
                              image.jpg
                              Attached Files
                              Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                              Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                              https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                                This winter is killing me! Just finished my 4th rod build... I made it for live-lining this summer and it turned out pretty well for my first spiral wrapped rod. Blank is a rainshadow e-glass rod rated 12-20lb and 1/4-1oz weight. Should be fun for summer rock and it bends well into the handle!
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]10847[/ATTACH]
                                Nice work! I built a couple acid wrapped trolling rods a few years back. Everyone I have shown them to tries to twist the rod as if it were a two piece that was lined up wrong. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed mine!
                                LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                                Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Working...
                                X