New Year's Day Black Sea Bass Masgouf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Year's Day Black Sea Bass Masgouf

So my bro in-law (Toyomo) hooked me up with two Black Sea Bass (BSB) from the Deep Drop trip he and other Snaggedliners took recently (http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...)-Sat-12-28-13) and I decided to Masgouf one of them to keep with the tradition . Here are the pics...

The fish was delicious! The only hang-up I had was the hard head. I haven't experienced anything like this and I was able to cut through a snakehead! The hard head on the BSB bent the tip of my knife! (same one I was using at the CBKA) I had to take another cleaver-like knife and hack through the head to split it open! Next time I'm going to have a nice sharp cleaver ready for these types of hard headed fish!
    -Mustafa
    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

I believe I read something in the Fisherman's Handbook that Masgouf is not allowed in the winter! This does not help with our winter depression...what a buzzkill.

Just kidding Bro...Another Masterpiece Mustafa!!
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

What a sweet way to roast a fish. Nice job as always man!

Comment

Looks real good love whole fish.

Comment

I just found out from Moc that whole seabass is $16.99 a lb, so i think i gave you like $150 worth of fish. We can square up next time i see you. lol looks delicious.
          2014 Hobie Outback

Comment

man that looks awesome...
            2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

Looks tasty. What spices do you use on it? How does it not fall apart when you turn it.
              Hurricane Skimmer 128
              WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Thanks for all the kind comments Gents!

Originally posted by toyomo View Post
                I just found out from Moc that whole seabass is $16.99 a lb, so i think i gave you like $150 worth of fish. We can square up next time i see you. lol looks delicious.
                LOL!! I'll repay you with admiration bro!

Originally posted by Runnin View Post
                Looks tasty. What spices do you use on it? How does it not fall apart when you turn it.
                Did this at my Mom's house who on occasion likes using some of the pre-made spices from Whole Foods in the fish section. She just grabbed one from he cupboard and put it on. I have a main go to recipe that I use (http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...hlight=Masgouf)

It doesn't fall apart because the skin and scales are intact and help it stay together. You still need to be careful though and move it gently because in the end it is still cooked fish and can flake apart. I guess practice makes perfect. But when it's hanging it'll stay together if you skewer it right. I showed how to do it at the CBKA last year. MOC put together a video of it and I added it to my youtube page (link is in my signature below).
                -Mustafa
                2016 Hobie Outback
                2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
                  I believe I read something in the Fisherman's Handbook that Masgouf is not allowed in the winter! This does not help with our winter depression...what a buzzkill.

Just kidding Bro...Another Masterpiece Mustafa!!
                  Dude this was my salvation from depression! I was lucky enough that it was a warmer day! Wish you were there to enjoy it bro!
                  -Mustafa
                  2016 Hobie Outback
                  2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

That roasted black sea bass looks tastier every time I look at your pictures....good job as always.

Comment

........ that's not a bass ...... and when did you go to the Black Sea? ......

Comment

Working...
                      X