No announcement yet.

12' or 14' Yak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd take Momnoacyyakker up on a test drive/loan, Only then will you be able to compare stealth/Cuda.
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
      I'd take Momnoacyyakker up on a test drive/loan, Only then will you be able to compare stealth/Cuda.
      It's a great opportunity, just not sure if I can make the trip anytime soon.
      -Jon
      Revo 13

Comment

I started with a OK Trident 11(30"wide) , and it went every where, including a stream nearby that after a good rain is fun to run, takes about four hours for the trip. Early last year I got a OK Trident Ultra 4.3 or fourteen footer (28.5" wide) ( no rudder), it wasn't cheap but blows the 11 footer away for paddling, tracking, gliding even stability seems the same or better, handles rough water much better partially because of the bow flare, and I love the rod pod hatch that has a compartment that is not open to bottom of kayak, I don't need a crate , I have it safe and dry between my legs.
        So this is also your problem , I don't take the Ultra down the creek, too many very sharp rocks that I get hung up on, and turning is better but not sure I couldn't do it. I figured that the 11 ft. boat used was worth maybe $400, I kept it! My son-in -law now is into kayak fishing and uses it, and when we run the creeks I use it and he uses our 10' Liquid Logic, Manta Ray. Find a way to hang on to the 12' boat and get a 14, also good for getting friends into the sport!..........Jack

PS The ten foot Manta Ray might go away and be replaced with a 12 footer, one of these days.

Comment

So heres my two cents on a thread that has lot of loose change! i recently (last Saturday!) purchased a new JK Big Tuna. I live in Winchester, VA. My main quarry is Smallies. I fish all the rivers in the Potomac drainage. Grew up in Plymouth MA, on a lake that dumped right out onto the beach. I've always been a canoe guy. For the last 20 years its been an OT Discovery 169 and an Appalachian these canoes are both at the 17' mark. Never once on any of the flows I fish( shenandoahs,Potomacs, and any feeder creeks) has the length been a navigation issue. I'm now downsizing to a 14' plastic vessel. I cant imagine you having any regrets with the 14' upgrade. Yes, I would consider it an upgrade, more room, stability and storage space. And if I'm not mistaken the increased volume should give you a shallower draft, and thats always a bonus on any Smallie flow!
          Martin

2013 Jackson Kayak Big Tuna

Comment

I paddle a Big Game... Don't get much more of a barge than that! LOL What paddle are you using? I'm only asking because prior to upgrading my paddle it was a chore to get my yak up to speed. By upgrading to a more efficient paddle, I have found longer hauls much easier. Am I the fastest yak out there? No. But I am getting to the spots much quicker and less fatigued than I did before. Maybe while looking into a 14'er you can also demo a few paddles to see if you won't fall back in love with the Stealth. Or you'll just fall in love with a new paddle and get a new yak! LOL

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I've decided on a 14'. Hopefully I can go get one soon.

The paddle I'm using is a werner skagit
              -Jon
              Revo 13

Comment

Originally posted by mytmouse View Post
                I paddle a Big Game... Don't get much more of a barge than that! LOL What paddle are you using? I'm only asking because prior to upgrading my paddle it was a chore to get my yak up to speed. By upgrading to a more efficient paddle, I have found longer hauls much easier. Am I the fastest yak out there? No. But I am getting to the spots much quicker and less fatigued than I did before. Maybe while looking into a 14'er you can also demo a few paddles to see if you won't fall back in love with the Stealth. Or you'll just fall in love with a new paddle and get a new yak! LOL
                MTM...which paddle did you upgrade to? Did you go for extra length as well?
                14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

I picked up a Werner Camano and yeah it's longer than my initial paddle, it's the 240cm. My last was a 230. With the wide hull that extra 10cm made a world of a difference not to mention the lighter weight. Best investment for the yak by far! I can paddle much longer with less fatigue and I get a much better thrust than my old blade design.

Comment

Originally posted by mytmouse View Post
                    I’ve tried a few different paddles and found the Werner Corryvrecken carbon fiber (240cm) a great paddle for the Stealth 14. Being higher angle blade it might not be a bad choice for the kayaks with the higher seats. I use it in my Mad River 16 canoe as well. Works great.
                    Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
                    Predator 13

Comment

Working...
                    X