Conowingo Lake / Broad Creek Recon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conowingo Lake / Broad Creek Recon

This winter I want to really concentrate my efforts above the Conowingo Dam. Mainly targeting crappie, but during my research I have found there are massive flatheads, walleye, and even stripers. I never fished Conowingo Lake so I took the time to check out three possible launching points. Before I get started, I did speak with an angler who was launching his boat. I happen to notice he was rigged for stripers...I did not know they existed above the dam. He states there is a WWD at the Peach Bottom Nuclear Power Plant just over the Pennsylvania Line. There are huge hybrid stripers to be caught that became residents after a stocking years ago. A Maryland license is reciprocal in this area. After prying him for information, he told me there is a free boat ramp right next to the plant that is only a 1/2 mile above the WWD site...man, great news!!

Anyway, the first launch I visited is Broad Creek Landing just before the bridge on Flintville Road. It's well marked, but is a very steep road to the ramp itself. Hopefully the entrance is maintained in the winter, because it looks to be disastrous. There is a small ramp and parking lots at the creek. This really is more of a crappie locale and not really intended to enter the Conowingo Lake itself. It looks promising, but the slow moving water is starting to ice over...so some preplanning should be taken before launching here. My next two posts will include the other launches.
    Attached Files
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

The next site I visited was Glen Cove Marina, it's closer to the dam wall. Other than the cove itself, not much structure...it leads directly into the lake. The ramp is $10 and plenty of parking is available. It's open year round and I saw no restrictions of time. So this might be a good night time launch to find a state record flathead! It's a small hike from the ramp to the parking lot, but the area itself puts you in deep water.
    Attached Files
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK

JEREMY D

Comment

Sorry for the separate posts, but I am not very computer savvy. Finally, Conowingo Creek...another free launch open a hour before dawn and a hour after dusk. This site is across the river in cecil county. It puts you in Conowingo Creek and only a 100 yards from the Lake...a railroad bridge separates the two. Up creek does not look manageable with a Hobie, but the railroad bridge looks like good structure for some crappie and of course the LMB and SMB in the warmer months. This launch is the largest of the three and is gated at closing times.
      Attached Files
      2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
      2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK

JEREMY D

Comment

nice recon!

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
        Alan

Comment

I've fished the peach bottom discharge several times from a boat and once in my kayak. Its very difficult to fish the discharge properly from a kayak as the current rips out of there. The weather was not ideal and it maybe would be better on a more weather friendly day. I'd be willing to try again on a nice day. From boat, I've caught flathead to 25lbs, Walleye, Carp, and large hybrids.
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Do you guys have a go to walleye rig? Like jigging a worm or something?

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
            Alan

Comment

I caught them jigging gulp swimming mullet... (stuff catches everything)
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Good look there, I have never done well there at all, ever..... You forgot the norhhtern most launch, Muddyrun Launch, coming from PA on 372 West it is just over the bridge and make the first left and follow that curvy road for about a mile or two.
                http://docirvcustombaits.com/baitbox/
                484-459-9863
                If you are not satisfied with the color or texture of your custom made Doc Irv baits just let me know and I will redo it at no cost to you to your satisfaction, because I am not happy unless you are happy.*
                *But if you are one of those people who is never satisfied then I retain the right to be unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by docirv View Post
                  Good look there, I have never done well there at all, ever..... You forgot the norhhtern most launch, Muddyrun Launch, coming from PA on 372 West it is just over the bridge and make the first left and follow that curvy road for about a mile or two.
                  Would love to try there but you need a PA license .......... The others are in md. I also hear the Muddyrun has trout too

Comment

MM, you are confusing the lake called Muddy Run with the boat launch into Conowingo which is also called Muddy Run and you do not need a PA license to fish in the upper Conowingo where the Muddy Run Launch is.
                    484-459-9863
                    If you are not satisfied with the color or texture of your custom made Doc Irv baits just let me know and I will redo it at no cost to you to your satisfaction, because I am not happy unless you are happy.*
                    *But if you are one of those people who is never satisfied then I retain the right to be unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by docirv View Post
                      MM, you are confusing the lake called Muddy Run with the boat launch into Conowingo which is also called Muddy Run and you do not need a PA license to fish in the upper Conowingo where the Muddy Run Launch is.
                      Oh ... Ok ..... Great .... Didn't know that. So you can fish the entire Conowingo pool w/a md lic?

Comment

as far as I know you can, but what do I know
                        484-459-9863

Comment

This is good intel Sparky, I would definitely be interested in doing some winter time exploring of these local waters.
                          2014 Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                          X