Water in Outback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water in Outback

I just wanted to follow up on this thread : http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...back-is-normal
    since its been an ongoing issue. At the time I started that thread I thought I had water coming through the hatch seal. Since then ive been out in some really calm almost pond like conditions and im still finding water inside my Outback. This pretty much eliminated the hatch seals as culprits and I started thinking I had the mirage drive cracking that was common on older Outbacks. That had me pretty alarmed because now that water temp is like 50 degrees I don't want this leak to suddenly get bigger halfway to CHSP outerwall or something like that. So I finally decided something is definitely wrong and called up Backyard Boats and spoke with Dennis. He gave me some quick tips to try to pin it down before I drive all the way there. I put a few inches of water inside and started the search.I was looking all around the mirage drive and couldn't find anything. I was starting to think I was crazy when I found this leak at the scupper plug under where the seat is. Not sure how it happened but just wanted to document in case anyone else has this issue. Im assuming the rate of water entry is the same that water is exiting in video and that's kinda nuts, I think ill add another 10 pool noodles to my kayak. Ive had kayak less than 6 months so pending Hobie warranty. Will update this post once I hear something.

2014 Hobie Outback

Hobie always does well by there warranty. I had a similar incident 2 years ago with a Revo.
    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Wow, that must be a pretty decent sized hole. Since your yak is pretty new, I don't see why they wouldn't give you a new hull. When my 2010 outback developed a crack a couple years ago, even though I was the second owner, Hobie replaced it and I only had to pay the cost of shipping.
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Yah, great customer support for me too. They'll get you another lickity split.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
        Alan

Comment

Hobie approved a new hull today. I haven't received it yet but got the ok. Excellent service from Backyard Boats and Hobie.
          2014 Hobie Outback

Comment

Glad you figured it out. This is why I never go out without a hand bilge in my hull.

Comment

Yeah ........... good with new hulls warrantys but Why don't they strengthen their design .......... seems like an awful lot of hull failures among the Hobie users .......... a bunch more that you hear from other manufacturers. Don't get me wrong, the Mirage drive makes the Hobie and I don't know anyone that would trade back but they should be building a yak that holds up ....... just sayin

Comment

I think hobie has a pretty complex hull compared to other yaks, i believe their two halfs injection molds that are glued together with hot plastic, im surprised they all dont leak. As they pass through a final inspection, there test for leaks might not be as rigorus as we put the material through out in the feild. Change in temperature, as it sits the hual sags, weak spots premade during the mold process can be exposed. Then beating the huals agianst pylons, docks, etc... Dragging it from one point to another. And then you got the wheels that go in the scuppers. With a loaded kayak all the stress is on those scuppers. And then you dont always roll on flat ground. Bumps, steps...
                Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
                -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
                -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                  Yeah ........... good with new hulls warrantys but Why don't they strengthen their design ..........
                  I think that Hobie does strengthen their design but its in response to failures in the field. Its obvious with the scupper hole reinforcements and I believe the mirage drivewell cracking is resolved also. I know they don't want to warranty a bunch of kayaks so I think they try to address any weaknesses they find. Overall I am pretty pleased because no product is perfect but the important thing is that the manufacturer and their dealers stand behind their stuff and don't make you jump through hoops to make it right.
                  2014 Hobie Outback

Comment

Sorry you are having hull problems. I am aware of another manufacturer that added more scupper holes plus increased the diameter of each scupper hole in one of their newer hull designs. I don't know if that is intended to give more structural strength or not. It may be the way designs go in the future. There are a lot more kayakers out there today under a wide range of loading, transporting, unloading, and water conditions. The earlier designs may not have been as strong as they could be.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis
                    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I'm a little surprised that Hobie endorses scupper carts.

I read about many DIY carts made from PVC breaking while in use (including my own). And most people respond stating that you need to reinforce the PVC with dowels or aluminum pipe to make the supports stronger. But once the cart becomes rigid the only thing left to give is the hull.

Just doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
                      2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                      Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Working...
                      X