Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBBT Sat/Sun 9,10 Nov 2013

CBBT 11-9-13, Sat

Was on the water before 8 am. Nice day, mostly sunny with winds 5-10 mph. The current was fair. Met HokieDJ, Chexone and Shady on the water.

Most of our time was spent looking for togs with shrimp and blue crab up to the 1st island. Not much action except for toads and short sea bass, except one of us getting a keeper tog. We even went to the far side of the 1st island where a couple of boats were fishing for togs. Fairly strong current there. All I got was a bunch of lost rigs. Went back to the pilings.

Very nice day to fish. I did catch a 13" black sea bass, which is not very common to do near shore. Generally, you have to go to wrecks and canyons on boats to get keepers (12.5" or larger).

That's blurry HokieDJ and Chexone in the background.

CBBT 11-10-13, Sun

Yesterday this place didn't produce many togs, so I questioned myself for going again. I wanted a quick trip, so I decided to go CBBT again. Shady stayed overnight too and he went to Kipto.

Was on the water 0715 hrs on an outgoing tide. The water ripped for several hours, so it was hard to fish. Again, I was already in the mindset of not catching any togs after talking to several keeper-tog-skunked anglers yesterday. Still, I had to go through the motion.

Finally I got a tap-tap at 0930 hrs. Set the hook. I thought it was either a very strong toad, or maybe a tog by chance. What a relief! Turned out to be a 19" tog.

Winds were 15-20 with gusts up to 25 mph. Choppy. Had a wet ride. Waves splashed in my face many times. Current was continuous for several hours, but the sky was blue. No other yakers and only a few boats were out there. I finally quit at 1 pm, too early, but I had a tog.

My secret revealed, for the guys who like to know. I caught the hard-to-find keeper tog on the 28th set of pilings (ocean side, east bound bridge) after the 1st SBC counting toward the 1st island. Good luck if you try.
    Attached Files
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

way to go tuf! Nice reward for braving the weather
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

I had to work today but I wasn't mad. I thought it was too windy for kayak fishing. I think the bass was the only keeper bass I heard so far.
      Glad that you are back home safely

Joe
      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

One thing I learned. When the fishing is really slow a lot of people go to the 1st island. If you work along the way hard enough, you don't have to go all the way there to get keepers.

Shady went to Kipto today, and he did well. Waiting for his report.

Comment

Good job on the sea bass and keeper tog. I've never caught a sea bass that big, they are always so small. Wind really picked up on Sat afternoon, talked to a couple boaters at Messick's who were out at cbbt. Said they couldn't catch anything.

Also would like to know how he did at Kipto. I'm heading there as soon as I hear the big stripers have moved in.

Comment

Yeah, big stripers. Can't wait. I guess the best to fish them is Kayak Kevin style, with live eels.

Comment

Nice job finding the keeper out there Sunday. I'm wondering if you caught her on the same set of pilings that I caught mine on Saturday. I knew for a fact there was another nice Tog there as I told you, I saw her biting the piling at the surface. Working on my report from the weekend binge...
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Another short trip for me. 15" tog and small flounder. Curse that CBBT!

Comment

Nice tog Tufnik! Hard-earned, but I know just one makes the trip worthwhile. I hope the pilings are numbered, because I can't count and fight current at the same time.
                  Mike S.
                  Hobie Outback
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                  3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by chexone View Post
                    Nice tog Tufnik! Hard-earned, but I know just one makes the trip worthwhile. I hope the pilings are numbered, because I can't count and fight current at the same time.
                    Come to think of it. The water was really rockin'. So, maybe it was really 27......maybe 29......
                    Last edited by tufnik; 11-11-2013, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Also, the tog was tagged. It's a small orange inch long 1 mm diameter tube. So I reported it on-line to the Virgina Marine Resources Commission. For the reward, you can choose a hat, t-shirt or pewter pin. I chose the hat with logo.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by tufnik; 11-11-2013, 03:35 PM.

Comment

A tag's cool! Let us know the details on the fish when you get the info.
                        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                          Also, the tog was tagged. It's a small orange inch long 1 mm diameter tube. So I reported it on-line to the Virgina Marine Resources Commission. For the reward, you can choose a hat, t-shirt or pewter pin. I chose the hat with logo.
                          Nice, I caught a tagged seabass at Kipto last year. I picked the T-shirt, its pretty nice.
                          Ryan
                          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
                          X