My first keeper that I didnt keep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first keeper that I didnt keep

Went out this morning for some more trolling around back creek. I was trolling 1/2oz jig heads with 4" gulp chartreuse swimming mullets. Caught 3 total. 1 was about 12in, the other 16in, and the one pictured which was definitely a keeper but I still have yet to get a means to measure my fish. All in all a good morning that produced this nice striper.
    Attached Files

Congratulations!

Good fish.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Great job. Looks like you got this down pat now. I still have the sticker ruler to give to you. Just need to meet up at some point.

Outback 2015
      Maui

Comment

Way to go. You are getting the knack of it. Nice fish.

I'm glad to hear that you are getting bites on the Gulp. I often fish at least one rod with a Gulp bait. But I am getting a higher number of hits on rods tipped with 4" to 5" paddletails -- they must simulate the menhaden on which the rockfish are feeding. You might consider trying one of those lures on one rod to present a slightly larger bait than the Gulp.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Yeah I feel better now that I know what works. I will definitely give those paddle tails a try. What weight jig heads are you putting those gulps on. I am having so much success trolling the gulps I am hesitant to try other things. Plus lets face it there is nothing like just paddling around, enjoying the scenery just to hear the sound of your drag ripping out behind you!

Comment

ive had a lot of success with gulp with a variety of fish.

nice fish btw

Comment

Nice fish, Walmart sells a Plano extendable measuring board (floating) that can measure up to 36" for about $12. Only downfall is the numbers are molded in and can be difficult to see (especially in a picture) so I just go over mine with a sharpie
              Jeff
              Life's Short, Fish Hard
              Malibu X-Factor
              Ocean Kayak Frenzy

Comment

http://kayakfishinggear.com/hawgtrough.aspx

Hawg Trough...

Comment

Originally posted by dtandrade View Post
                  I will definitely give those paddle tails a try. What weight jig heads are you putting those gulps on.
                  Use the same jigheads you are using with the Gulp or slightly heavier ones. Use heavier jigheads when trolling in deeper water. Today I trolled mostly in 4-6 ft depth and caught 4 rockfish to 18.5". The jigheads ranged from 3/8 oz to a 1.5 oz -- all had paddletails of different size and color. I had a hard time keeping the heavier one off the bottom, although it did account for the largest fish.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                  X