St. Jeromes top water limit and some keeper trout w/ Camelbird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Jeromes top water limit and some keeper trout w/ Camelbird

I was dying to get out on the water after being asked by Ronault (wed), Moc (fri), and Kitkatyakker (Sat) but unable to meet up with them. Camelbird called indicating a desire to fish Sunday and I was finally free....wind was supposed to howl, but we figured we'd be able to find a lee shore at St Jeromes Creek. We'd fished there before in 20 knot winds so i felt we could do it.....as luck would have it ictalarus bill could not come so there was very little wind for much of the time. Nice
    My first fish was a fat keeper trout, but the screaming tide and breeze spun my boat around 360 degrees and my lines became tangled.I could not get fish in the yak and had no net. Lost him untangling lines.....Arrrggghh! My first keeper trout this year! We caught lots of rock trolling in in the outgoing channel in 4-6 ft of water and Camel bird caught 2 more trout, one at 17.5 inches.....and he tossed it back!!!
    When the tide turned we started fishing the bar that runs out to the bay from a significant landmark that I cannot speak of lest someone else catch a fish

here we used nothing but topwater plugs and caught fish after fish including multiple keepers (I kept 2 nice healthy fish- 19" and 20"). My arms got so tired catching rockfish that I stopped and shot some pics of Camelbird...

Interestingly, we caught no more trout once the tide turned, but the rock kept coming .....good company and a good day. My selfies did not turn out so hopefully Camelbird has some.
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Good work fellas. Trout and stripers on a sunny day is a good time.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

"My arms got so tired catching rockfish..." Yeah, that's a problem we all need...lol... WTG!
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Can't beat a day like that. MAN, TOPWATER STRIPERS! My new addiction. Period. Nothing big, but man it was a blast! Some of them would hit the spook so hard it would send the lure flying 3ft+ in the air only to smack it again when it hit the water. Wicked awesome.

Day started out with a little bit of LTKT, light tackle kayak trolling hah. In, against and with the wind we battled for a few hours picking up some schoolies and some trout. Standard salt and pepper BAs with 1/4-3/8oz red jig heads. Jerkbaits, Rattletraps, redfish magics all worked when the tide was right. No redfish this time...hmmm

Great company down at St Jeromes...*cough cough*... uh I mean mid-bay. Till the next one, Kevin. Thanks again man. Hope Bill catches up with us next time

I got some video and will post once I get out of this salt coma
        Attached Files

Comment

Sounds like a great day! Thanks for the report!
          Sun Fishin'

Comment

Super report and photos.

Congrats on the tired arms.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Sun View Post
              Sounds like a great day! Thanks for the report!
              Nothing like the day you and Chexone had at Kipto catching redish!!! That must have been AWESOME!
              14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
              2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Action shot
                Attached Files

Comment

Great report Guy's I have always trolled that sand bar and would pick up one or two fish Never thought about top water there. Sorry about the trout Kevinfry, but great snag anyway.
                  Oh by the way I know that red house in the back round is photo shopped in the backround. I have to learn to photo shop a bridge into my pictures on my outing today. LOL!

Comment

Looks like a great outing. Good work Gentleman.

Meadeo
                    2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

Very cool! Nice fishing guys.
                      Mike S.
                      Hobie Outback
                      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                      3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

looks like a lot of fun - congratulations on some nice fish!

Comment

Nice work, gents. Sorry I missed it. It's funny you mentioned the wind. I went out on Monday trying to match the tide and was met with 2-foot waves with some larger ones mixed in. So much for light and variable. I couldn't stay out front too long, but I picked up several 16" stripers and one at 22" near that undisclosed location. No specks, sadly. The 22-incher fought incredibly hard and spun my yak around, which made things interesting. I still haven't caught a fish on top water yet this year, but I hope I can fix that soon.
                          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
                          X