Anchor Rigging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the_kegs View Post
    Stopped by the Kent Island West Marine this weekend and "got sold" an anchor and trolley kit. Should have just waited and put together my own system. The rope they give you for the anchor is only 50' which I don't think is long enough for many places in the bay. The other rope they give you for the trolley is not nearly long enough to run the trolley from bow to stern. Basically I paid $30+ for a bunch of rope I can't use an anchor and a couple aluminum carabiners.
    I don't think you're going to be anchoring in 50 ft of water ............ if you are you are probably in the channel and th's no place for an anchored yak .......... most of the bay is 20 ft or less ..........

Comment

I believe the ratio is something like 5:1 or 6:1 depth to rope for the anchor to work properly. So according to the "ratio", even for 20ft of depth you are supposed to use 100ft of anchor line. I use a small kayak anchor for my 10ft pond boat. Initially I had 50ft of line and the anchor would often slip. I added another 50ft and it holds like a champ. It changes the angle of the anchor and allows it to dig in better.
      Digital Livewell

Comment

Originally posted by the_kegs View Post
        I believe the ratio is something like 5:1 or 6:1 depth to rope for the anchor to work properly. So according to the "ratio", even for 20ft of depth you are supposed to use 100ft of anchor line. I use a small kayak anchor for my 10ft pond boat. Initially I had 50ft of line and the anchor would often slip. I added another 50ft and it holds like a champ. It changes the angle of the anchor and allows it to dig in better.

I use 50 ft of line all the time, in up to 20ft of water. I do have a 6ft piece of chain hooked to the anchor. The chain helps keep the shank down, even in wave action. The anchor is a 5lb folding anchor. It doen't take alot to hold a kayak. On the upper Potomac I use a 2.5lb anchor, with 15ft of line because the smaller anchor will hold in the rocks and is easy to dislodge.

The problem with taking out so much anchor line is that it is bulky. I usually don't anchor out in the open bay. Fifty foot of line is generally plenty for everyday use. Now if you have plans for a deeper anchoring situation, then more line may be needed. The only times that I anchor, is generally when I am chumming. I think those ratios are formulated for boats. I always went with a piece of chain equal to the length of my boat, 1/4" for the boat I had, with a 33.3 ratio. One hundred feet of line would hold me a 33' of water. In the mid-bay I don't think I ever needed more than that.

Comment

Great info.... Thank you. I was hoping to only use a 2lb anchor. I may have to reconsider. Might up my anchor weight with a chain or maybe just carry two separate 50ft lengths of rope. (Like the Boondock Saints would say, you can never have too much rope) I only know bay fishing from a motor boat. We frequently used to anchor up by the bridge near the channel and fish. May not be a good tactic for the kayak. Strange enough, the only time we didn't anchor (Besides Trolling) was when we were chumming. We used to drift along with the chum.
          Digital Livewell

Comment

That was my original plan also, to hook on an additional 50' of line should I need it. I was just goint to use a small clip. Also remember, you don't need any real heavy line. I think the line I use is about 1/4".

Comment

Working...
            X