Thomas Point 10/16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas Point 10/16

I was not going to fish today. However, the weather was calling to me all day. I got out around 4:00. I started trolling in the shallows on my way out to the deeper ledges. I saw several boats trolling my regular patterns, so I went elsewhere. Later, shortly after the boats left. I went and started trolling my regular patterns. It seemed as if the sun was setting, difficult to tell with the overcast. As I went over one of my favorite ledges, one of the rods bent over hard. That was an 18" fish. On this day I was not going to make the mistake of keep moving on along the ledge. I made a hard turn and went back over the same spot. On this pass both rods went down, with a 19" fish and a 20" fish. These two got tangled. One of them was the type of fish that fought in lateral fashion. I needed to get the tangle out of the lines and swap out a battery on the motor. It was a terrible time for a low battery indicator. This was probably one of the fastest battery changes ever. By the time I got the tangle out and the battery changed, birds were starting to work about 30-40 yards in front of me. I got both lines out and one immediately went down. This was a 22" fish. After, clearing that fish. I went a little further and caught another 19" fish. At this point it was really getting dark. Even the birds had moved off, I guess due to the dark. I made one more pass and picked up another 18" fish. It was fast action, when it happened. It was really nice as most of the boats had cleared off. I suppose most were heading in for the night. I sort of had the fish to myself.

It was kind of funny. Just as I got the first fish, I was finishing up my second beer. It was such a nice day, I had the taste for beer. It is something about saltwater and beer. They just seem to go together.

10-16 (1).jpg10-16 (2).jpg10-16 (3).jpg10-16 (5).jpg10-16 (6).jpg
    Last edited by DOGFISH; 10-17-2013, 07:58 AM.

Yeah, you're right about saltwater and beer...and I got out today, too- down south...18, 19 1/2 Stripers and a 25 inch redfish- I must have had 25 or 30 stripers today...90% were 16 (+) a lot of 17 and 17 1/2 inch fish...as the tide slowed, I picked up the redfish...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

That is a great day. The fish are really moving in the area. I am going to try to make the Point Lookout Meet and Greet, hope to pickup a redfish.

Comment

very nice. cold beer and striped fish to end the day!
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Nice don

I had 4 massive blow ups yesterday but none came tight, I got there a little late tho

Comment

Congrats Don! Sounds like a lot fun. I can't believe I have yet to open a beer on my kayak!
            2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
            Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Comment

Originally posted by Nitefly View Post
              Congrats Don! Sounds like a lot fun. I can't believe I have yet to open a beer on my kayak!
              What? You need to go out right now and take care of that! Even if it means sitting in the back yard in your kayak!
              LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
              Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Originally posted by dsiekman View Post
                What? You need to go out right now and take care of that! Even if it means sitting in the back yard in your kayak!
                +1 !!! Always bring a cooler with a couple cold ones...

Comment

Working...
                X