RED HOT topwater bite!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RED HOT topwater bite!

tonight i got 7 keepers from 20-25 inches and i counted 9 more blow ups! it was INSANE!

At one point i cast and had a blow up and he missed, so i cast again and he missed, and i cast again and he missed, finally after casting to the same spot 5 times the not so smart rockfish CREAMED my lure , which was a super spook

for the past 2 weeks its gotten scary good in various places in the south/severn/west river.Also all fish caught from shore at top secret locations.

Setup is 7 foot saint croix tidemaster with stradic 3000 and 15 pound braid with 30 pound mono leader.

I have mostly been using spooks but when its to rough i use chug bugs.

Any questions just fire away!

photo (27).jpgphoto (26).jpgPhoto (21).jpgPhoto (23).jpgPhoto (22).jpgphoto (28).jpgphoto (24).jpgphoto (25).jpg

My only question is.... whats the top secret location?

Comment

Look for the areas covered in highlighter red, green and blue duh lol. Im guessing if someone drove around that area for a little bit these spots shouldn't be so "hard" just gotta put in a little time.
      Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Originally posted by M_Duong60 View Post
        Look for the areas covered in highlighter red, green and blue duh lol. Im guessing if someone drove around that area for a little bit these spots shouldn't be so "hard" just gotta put in a little time.
        I love your cander.... but I wouldn't want to "Point" you in the wrong direction... so look it up !
        Congrats on a good day... love the pics... although you could photo shop them better... maybe a tropical paradise in the background.

Still riding the bicycle to the breaks... used mine a bunch.. I think you saw my set up.. maybe it was somebody else
        I am speaking of... well anyway.. be safe out there.

Cheers... and good to see the pics !

Comment

Walleye Pete slayed them this week out of Buzz's Marina, Ridge, MD- fishing breaking schools of fish- just outside the creek in the Bay...fish are there, just getting the right weather to get out has been tough- all the rain has dropped the water temps and the fish are responding. Bonk-a-donk, top dawgs, and poppers have been the ticket- but just about any surface lure that looks like a bait fish works- I have used floating crankbaits as top water baits- the Rapalas- just throw them out twitch, twitch, let it sit, twitch- blam! And the number 1 reason people don't hook up on the strike is they have too fast reflexes- slow down your strike by a half second and you will catch a lot more top water hits-
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
            And the number 1 reason people don't hook up on the strike is they have too fast reflexes- slow down your strike by a half second and you will catch a lot more top water hits-
            That is definitely the key, but SO hard to do when you are watching the action!
            LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
            Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Looks like you had a good time. Nice work!
              LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
              Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

And Andrew- we all know it is from your neighborhood private pier...

Comment

A rod with a slower tip action can also delay the response just enough to help with top water strikes.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                  Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                    A rod with a slower tip action can also delay the response just enough to help with top water strikes.
                    ....the old fiberglass rods- carbon rods are too stiff for top water- Shakespeare Ugly stik...

Comment

I still haven't had any top water luck with Stripers. Are they more active on top water in the fall?
                      2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
                      Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                        And Andrew- we all know it is from your neighborhood private pier...
                        Why? Just why...

Ps none of these fish were caught on my pier, everyone knows about my pier due to some people announcing it, so I will none show pics of my new and BETTER spots.

Once again fish are everywhere chasing menhaeden so don't focus on spots. Focus on PATTERNS

No need to say they were on my pier when you do not know that for a fact.

Andrew

Comment

i recognize a couple of his spots from his other posts and can say for certain they are not all at his community pier.

personally, i don't bother going to his spots but i've talked to other people that also know where they are. it would be no surprise to me if people are showing up at his spots. i saw the after effects of a big spot-burn earlier this season. granted, it's a well known spot but it was ridiculous how crapped up it became with old bayliners and stories of 'bad fishing ethic' after one explicit spot burn report.

an old man once told me - if you're lucky enough to find a spot where you can catch fish; be smart and keep it to yourself.

Comment

ahhh i know that spot by the look of that grass..... lol thanks for the tip
                            Zach Moore
                            Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
                            Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
                            Bait Towel Pro Staff
                            2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                            YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Originally posted by kayak456 View Post

Once again fish are everywhere chasing menhaeden so don't focus on spots. Focus on PATTERNS

Andrew
                              You having the best luck around sunset?

I'm planning on heading out to Thomas Point tomorrow if the weather is decent.

Comment

Working...
                              X