Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South River 10/14

striper (1) 10-14.jpgstriper (2) 10-14.jpg

It was fun fishing with MOC and Jsquare today. It looked like trolling was the way to go. I saw that MOC had caught some large white perch, which he held up while passing. I am sure he will have something to say about his fishing. I caught 9 rockfish, of which two were keeper size. All were returned to fight another day. I caught most of my fish back in the river. I started out catching some smaller fish around one of the day markers near a shoal. I should have stayed in the river. I went to the Fishing Creek side of Thomas Point, with only four under size fish to show for the effort. I went back to the river and around that same day marker started catching fish again. This time, I did catch the two keeper size fish with a few more under size mixed in. I caught all fish on my regular crankbaits, Rapala and YoZuri. I did try the shallows, but that did not work out for me today. Although, after last Saturday, I will not continue to overlook the shallow flats back in the river. It was a beautiful day out on the water.
    Last edited by DOGFISH; 10-14-2013, 10:53 PM.

It was a nice launch that Dogfish took us out of. Thanks Don for the invite. This was my first time ever fishing the South River. It had a lot of grass beds and rip raps. I started off by jigging to see if I could catch a curious rockfish like I did in Weems Creek in the shallows, but all I got were perch. I decided to keep three perch... a 12 incher, 11 incher and 10.5 incher. The 12 incher was really fat. I caught another 4 perch during the evening. I trolled the main channel and shallows. I got three hits in the shallows, but did not land anything. during the day I finally ended up with one 13 inch rockfish on the troll. It was a beautiful day. I did notice from Dogfish's pictures that his rattle traps were much bigger than the one that I was using. That might have made the difference in the river. I tried spinners, jig heads with Gulp, smaller 1/2 ounce rattle traps, and storm shads with no luck. Next time I will use larger rattle traps.

Comment

Sorry I couldn't join you guys! I had evening obligations I couldn't get out of. I did get to fish in the morning and ended up on the Rhode River. Ill post a report on that later. Looks like you all had a good day!
      2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
      Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Comment

Weather was beautiful and it was nice to explore a bit of the river I have not been on before. Big thanks to Dogfish for the invite and showing us around. Moc and I really put in the miles. I can see why Dogfish has the electric yak. Trolling is going to take some practice. I trolled a redfish magic type spinner, and a rattletrap. Got a Bluefish on the spinner, and a small rockfish on the rattletrap. I neglected the perch and stuck with trolling for the experience, if nothing else. Tried some topwater on the way in before dark, but nothing was interested.

Great day to be out.

Comment

Working...
        X